Happier alone than with friends....

purplesoccer34

purplesoccer34

Many times, I feel as if I would genuinely be happier if I never had to attend any big parties or events. Am I the only one who feels this way?

A few years ago when I was in college, I loved big parties and social gatherings. I'd feel energized by being around lots of people. But something has changed recently. For the past 2-3 months, my weekends have mostly been spent alone reading books or watching movies. I also do things like go on solo hikes and runs. On the days that I wasn't alone, I'd spend time with just one another person--my closest friend. I have a close group of friends from college who are constantly out partying, but I've been declining their invitations to go out on the weekends. I don't think I've ever been happier.

Last week, I helped to throw a party for a friend who is moving away, and so I felt that I definitely had to attend this event. This of course, was a wild and crazy party with tons of people. I should've had fun, but I didn't.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the fact that I'd rather spend time alone. Sometimes I think that it's the people I'm spending time with (I'm the only introvert in a group of extreme extroverts), I'm not sure. But I do feel that this trait makes me different from many people my age (mid-twenties).

There are exceptions to this whole socializing thing though. In the past, I've spent some weekends volunteering to work with children and the elderly. This is something that gives me genuine satisfaction. And of course, I love my job and interacting with my coworkers. Perhaps it's just large parties that I don't like.

Have you ever felt this way?

Edited by purplesoccer34
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong with that at all! Looks like you've just grown as a person, realizing that you don't have to spend tons of time with people just because... It's good to be on your own, do things that interest you and make you happy without having to rely on someone else to make you feel good and secure.

As you get older (LOL) you'll find yourself loving to stay home on Saturday nights, cozy on the couch instead of partying with tons of people.

I avoid as much as possible big parties, especially when I don't know many people who will be there. I prefer smaller groups and smaller gatherings.

If you aren't avoiding for the wrong reasons (depression etc) and you're okay doing stuff on your own, don't stress about it. Maybe you've become more introverted as you get older, and that's okay if you are.

Unless you are depressed or something, there's nothing wrong, but just don't let yourself get into the habit of going the easy way all the time and isolating.

I'm social sometimes but like a lot of alone time, too. But I don't have problems with the social part when I'm ready for it. Just don't let yourself get too set in that habit or you will look up one day and wish you had someone to talk to and hang out with.

Many times, I feel as if I would genuinely be happier if I never had to attend any big parties or events. Am I the only one who feels this way?

A few years ago when I was in college, I loved big parties and social gatherings. I'd feel energized by being around lots of people. But something has changed recently. For the past 2-3 months, my weekends have mostly been spent alone reading books or watching movies. I also do things like go on solo hikes and runs. On the days that I wasn't alone, I'd spend time with just one another person--my closest friend. I have a close group of friends from college who are constantly out partying, but I've been declining their invitations to go out on the weekends. I don't think I've ever been happier.

Last week, I helped to throw a party for a friend who is moving away, and so I felt that I definitely had to attend this event. This of course, was a wild and crazy party with tons of people. I should've had fun, but I didn't.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the fact that I'd rather spend time alone. Sometimes I think that it's the people I'm spending time with (I'm the only introvert in a group of extreme extroverts), I'm not sure. But I do feel that this trait makes me different from many people my age (mid-twenties).

There are exceptions to this whole socializing thing though. In the past, I've spent some weekends volunteering to work with children and the elderly. This is something that gives me genuine satisfaction. And of course, I love my job and interacting with my coworkers. Perhaps it's just large parties that I don't like.

Have you ever felt this way?

Yes, lol. I've even made a few topics about this in the past. At this point in my life I'm content with the occasional hang out but for the most part I like to go to work, clock out and relax at home Friday-Sunday night. I got my sports, my movies, my video games. I'm good. My brother and sister in law stop by Friday nights, and I feel like any adult interaction I want I get at work and at the gym. After that, I go into homebody mode and just like being on my own doing my own thing.

I don't think it makes us "freaks" or anything. It's just our preferred low key quiet lifestyle.

• Like 1