If a friend stares at you before saying hi to you

So I'm a guy, and I know this girl (who I do NOT have a crush on) who pretty casual friend of mine. We hang out in the same group of friends from time to time and she acts pretty normal around me in groups. But anyways, the odd part is that whenever we pass each other on the street or in the library, she seems stare at me for a few seconds before stretching her mouth and waving at me. Does she seem I'm weird or something, or am I just overthinking this? I admit that I'm kind of insecure at how others think of me so maybe this is just one of those cases...

• Author
Mmm, I'm gonna go with "overthinking."

Yeah I guess so. I should note though that I am socially awkward. I mean, I like hanging out my friends but I am always the quiet one and ocassionally a bit awkward when I talk to other people. She doesn't seem to act quite like how my other friends and acquaintances act around me in those situations.

If she is trying to read your signals and YOU notice her and arent saying hello...she may be feeling awkward like ok...we know eachother but unless I am the one to greet him he wont say hello or acknowledge.

She may wait a moment as its nice sometimes for another to initiate a greeeting with you, but since you are socially ackward shes kinda forced to say hello first but she was maybe waiting for you to be a gentleman and greet her.

Edited by privategal

What I do to break this kind of ice, is to smile very wide.

The other one automatically picks up on this goofiness and smiles back. Or stares, haha.

Anyway, to avoid awkwardness I smile :)

She might be a bit short sighted....hence peering at you a bit to check you are in fact who she thinks you are, before waving.

She might be trying to assess why you are smiling at her that way. Thinking is he flirting? Should I talk to him?

You'd have to be staring too to know she is staring. Just a quick wave and hello is all you need "Hey Mary" then keep it moving and you wont feel awkward. Get out of your head, your ok, normal, no one is awkward we all are unique so be glad you are not like everyone else dont put yourself down.

Edited by privategal