My boyfriend is lonely

Loveisonlyformovies

Loveisonlyformovies

I'm having a problem with my boyfriend that I don't know how to solve.

Personally, I don't have any friends. I've been alone for many many years and I've gotten used to it and I'm fine with it.

My boyfriend, however, is getting severely depressed lately and I don't know how to help him. He moved to my town about a year ago and he knows no one here except me and my family. He's originally from another country and their social culture isn't as cold as the Swedish on... Ex: He likes to speak his mind which swedes definitely don't do.

He's had contact with some old friends online, they play together at times but more and more rarely. We're expecting a child within two months and he's the first in his friend group to have one and that makes the others more distant.

I've suggested to start some activities but he's shy and as pregnant and soon to be mother i can't join him until next year. I really don't know what to do and it's killing me to see him so unhappy.

Does anyone know how I can help him? I'm not good at making friends so can't give him many advice...

• Like 1

What he is going through is very normal for immigrants. He desperately needs to develop his own social network.

Can he find other people from his country? Usually a restaurant or grocery shop is a good place to meet other people from his country. Also, what are activities that are popular in his culture? For example, if he is from South Asia, he may be into cricket. Then he can try to find a cricket group in your town. Because it is a sport that he is very interested in, he may be willing to overcome his shyness to join it.

• Author
Loveisonlyformovies

Sadly, this is a small town with very few activities to do and the costs of going to bigger towns would be too much for us. Besides, due to summer most activites don't start until september and by then his depression will be even worse.

90% of the immigrants here are from north africa and syria, my boyfriend is british and their cultures are way too different for them to get along. There are asian shops and restaurants but sadly no european ones...

Sadly, this is a small town with very few activities to do and the costs of going to bigger towns would be too much for us.

Would it be too expensive to drive/take the train into the city one day and go to a British pub?

Also, if he can't find other people from his culture, then he either needs to assimilate into your culture or find ways of introducing his own culture there. Would he take the initiative to organize anything, maybe a cricket league or something else British?

BTW, talking to friends from his home will only make him more homesick and unable to assimilate to his current situation.

• Author
Loveisonlyformovies

There are no british pubs in this country. Cricket and things like that doesn't exist around here at all, it's very rare sports in sweden. I can't stand people from my culture so I understand why he has troubles with them as well.

The people he talks to aren't from his hometown, he never gets homesick.

Swedes are a really weird people and in smaller towns like this, it's impossible to get new friends unless you're either religious or have grown up with them. :/