I dont want to upset her?

Lee hye ri

I have a friend for about 11 yrs ... We r 21 ... We used to give each other gifts in bd... Recently .. I dont know .. I dont want to recieve anything from her .. My bd is coming and want to tell her that i dont want any expensive gifts i want anything even. A bar of chocolate would make me very happy .. So how should i tell her that without hurting her?

• Author

I love gifts with some creativity in them or sth that indicates putting an effort but she always give me expensive gifts like clothes, shampoos, ...... ,would give me a cake but refuse to eat it with me .. Like that so i dont know .. I would feel better if it was a very simple gift or nothing i would feel better

Well, if you have money, it's easier to just buy a gift and not everyone is creative or has the time. If you are reciprocating, I would say tell her Please don't spend more than $xx on me so I can reciprocate in kind.

Now, it won't always work. This year I told everyone No Christmas, and my friends still got me something. But I did make it perfectly clear.

A gift is given and a thank you is the norm.

If this tradition has prevailed over time, then substitute the gifting by saying... this year I would enjoy of your friendship, no material tokens please.

The best gifts come from the heart... A moment of laughter... Those silent times... Or doing anonymous deeds for someone in need.

I recall asking my friend to take a Saturday and join in a habitat project. She did, and we had the best laughs! Those times were gifts that will not be worn or tossed out.