Introvert Invisibility

Tailor2000

Im going to put this in the friend section, because this makes a bit of sense to me.

As anyone who may have followed my posts know, I struggle with some friendships. They're kind of all over the place. I thought some friendships were going so well and then they just turn around and suddenly go distant, inconsistent behaviour. They're supportive, they're kind, they're friendly, sometimes they reach out and do something amazing, sometimes they make an effort. But then other times, they ignore you like you don't exist. They don't respond to invites, they don't send out invites, they make no "real effort". But then they do just turn around from time to time and get in touch.

It's bizarre. It's not like they never do anything, they do DO something. Not much, but it's something. But then they ignore you at some other times. Then they're supportive.

Mixed bag, who knows what's going on.

Well, I'm reminded about how there are times especially in group activity I feel very much invisible. I can enter a room and no one notices, I can leave without notice. I get people offering me a drink but then forgetting to make one for me. I get people never considering me in something as basic as just offering me a lift like they do to others. But they know where to come when they want something.

I tend to consider myself an "extrovert" because I am bubbly and lively, and like people. I like being around people. Well some people. But I share a lot in common with introverts. I am impossibly shy, lacking in confidence, have anxiety problems, probably suffer with social anxiety.

I've seen on forums comments from other introverts who suffer almost exactly the same problem. They can't get a word in edgeways, can't keep up with group conversations, can barely join in, better on a one to one, they get interrupted when they do talk, quiet, unassertive, blend in to the background, when you do talk in a group, if you're not interrupted, you get treated with disdain like you've said something stupid, but if someone else said it, it would be applauded.

From this though, it appears that extraverts, prefer mingling with other extraverts. They seem to think introverts are cold, and aloof, like you don't want to know them, you're not interested. For whatever reason, E's don't pay attention to I's.

I's notice E's and I's what someone to make them not feel invisible. Other I's won't and E's won't.

This does seem a little unfair. Introverts find it difficult and will rely on the Extroverts to make an effort. Extroverts need to make an effort. They should befriend an Introvert and get to know them.

• Like 1