My now ex- best friend

Brews1987

This is quite a long explanation, but I have to vent it all out.

About four months ago my best friend at the time approached me, "Hey ___insert-name___, I have a proposition, we've lived together before and my last hope for a roommate fell through, can I possibly move in with you until I get up on my feet?"

"I really do not want a roommate man, but I'll consider it. I mean honestly you have to do your part, half the rent, half the utilities, you have to keep everything clean, if you damage anything you must replace it, if you use the cleaning products you have to do your part and replace those as well," I responded to his grave request.

I've had the worst roommates in the past and I just didn't want another occurrence like the last time. He signed a lease and moved in quickly. The first month he didn't receive his money for his housing allowance (yes a military thing), so I agreed that he could just pay half but regardless he had to pay the full amount once he got the money, he too agreed to the stipulations. Not even a week later he's dating some chick who I instantly had that uneasy feeling when she came in. I couldn't sleep knowing this woman he hardly knew was in the house and staying for 9 days straight.

I asked him if she was trustworthy and he of course said "Yes, she's so great isn't she?!" I nodded but that uneasy feeling didn't go away. My two dogs growled, barked, and tried to snip at her. The excuse became "Oh, she hates dogs." But even after requesting why, he couldn't answer the question and he still beat around the bush. My two dogs are very protective of me but only if they sense someone who is in the vicinity of me is potentially harmful, this proven to be true because they took down a man wielding a gun to ensure my safety.

I still felt uneasy and with having to move shortly I requested that she only be staying overnight for three days a week maximum especially since she doesn't live here, isn't on the lease and that I didn't want her in the house alone. The roommate then got very aggressive. Instantly I knew something was wrong. So of course I did some snooping thinking my short time left in the military would possibly be jeopardized. I was correct by all means.

She had just filed for divorce not but 13 days prior starting to date the roommate, per our regulations it is a punishable offense by the military code of conduct. I approached him later asking if she was married, he lied and told me "oh no she's been divorced for a long time," though I already knew the answer and that he was lying. Now I was stuck in a collusion based issue, I approached my supervisors and talked with them about the situation just to keep myself from getting into trouble too.

I approached him a week later, as his cleanliness no longer existed, she started buying his clothes with what she wanted him to wear requiring him to get rid of what he previously owned. I found out later that she had actually forced him into buying the new clothes himself though he owed me a considerable amount of money already.

After that, she started ensuring that I felt uncomfortable in my own home, he was subletting from me and still told me I was being ridiculous, though we had already signed the agreement to include all questionable people be required to stay away from the house and that was upon agreement between the both of us. I came to him yet again and asked him if he was lying to me about their relationship, he lied again. I admitted I knew the truth at that point, he exclaimed "HE BEAT HER! ITS NOT THAT LONG AWAY!" At the time their date was scheduled for two months afterward for finalization and in this state it still take two months afterwards to be complete. I told him that I couldn't allow this to happen being a higher rank and requested that if she stayed the night that he at least sleep on the couch so no one would get into trouble, in which he blatantly disregarded and blew a gasket, I further explained level-headed, that if he couldn't comply with my requests I would give him time to find a new place to live but he would still be responsible up until the time he left. He threw a fit, and within a week he magically had a place with three times the amount of rent he was required to pay me, he stated he would have everything out by Friday. Friday came and went and I luckily was able to go ahead and previously document all my items before he had moved in, he had taken many of my items upon his short lived moving out, he also had only come back once to retrieve more items and now two weeks have passed and with yet another broken promise of "I'll have your money to you this date, and my items will be out this date, and I'll ensure my mess is cleaned up this date." But to no avail be won't even respond to my texts, instead his priorities have again shifted to his controlling girlfriend, spending money he owes me taking her out to expensive restaurants, of course my supervisors all know of the circumstance. He still also has yet to return the key, so today I changed the locks, it was agreed with my supervision that he has to pay for the items he had damaged, the amount he owes, the amount of goods he's taken if he hasn't returned them, and now we are looking at $950 that he owes me not even including the fact that I had to completely clean the kitchen and get any killer twice on account that his cleanliness lacked that much (I've lived here two years and never had a big or cleaning issue), mind you I have to move and I'm leaving the military come the end of November so every penny counts.

Now until he does his part or if he breaks in I'm to contact my employers, if he doesn't pay the amount owed by the 15th of this month, though for the last month and a half of protecting his career as well as mine, we will schedule a meeting with his supervision to ensure I get the money owed and the items removed, along with all the damage he had done to the house.

Now I know I realize that he obviously hadn't been a friend all along for some chick who is lying about her marriage being violent (she has a terrible track record of lies) and also discriminated against the fact that I'm Wiccan "Oh God bless, she hates me so and so, and she is casting spells on me, and blah blah blah..."

Yes, she told him that crap, and he told me I should just try harder to win her over. I was also appalled. I hadn't done anything to her other than find out her true self, pinpoint his lies, and attempt to help him get out of a sticky situation.

I just want you all to understand that my best friend of three years now is no longer a friend as he let a piece of ass get in between us and completely control the situation. Am I wrong for how I handled it? Yes and no, but when you're not only risking my safety, my families safety, your career along with mine, and completely disregarding and having an utter lack of respect for our friendship.

I'm disappointed, but I tried my best to stay level headed and approach the situation as unbiased as I could, but when you're starting to show me that you've become a toxic relationship by your new relationship with a person who is looking for yet another man to take care of her.