How to deal with self-centered friends?

Hi all!

I am new here. Just stumbled across the site while searching on what the title says.

I am really annoyed by a friend's behavior. She was going to visit my hometown and I asked her to get something for me (a small 300gms item) from there. She agreed to it and just before leaving she requested me to prepare a pickle for her. I did that, thinking any relationship is a 'give and take'. However, when she reached my hometown, she called me two days later and informed that she cant get it, as her bag is full of items she has bought and gifts she has received!

Now she is back in town and I don't even want to talk to her. This is not the first instance when she has shown such a selfish act. What should I do? Should I continue to bear this in the name of friendship or should I minimize my interactions with her. Honestly I want to stop talking to her!

Well. I feel your "friend" isn't trustworthy. Not the first instance u mentioned. Then this kind of task shouldn't be tasked to her at the first place.

Whether to ge friends or not. I guess using this issue is politically not right to unfriend her.

Well, now, let's be reasonable. She can't be expected to choose making room for an item you want over accepting and taking back gifts she received. You surely can't expect her to leave a gift she received behind and carry your item instead. Get over it. At this point, it's 50/50 who is the more self-centered.

I totally get you OP. Where there is a will there is a way. 300 g item should not affect anything in her bag. If the bag was too heavy, she could have taken a jacket and wore it instead of having it in the bag. If it was not liquid, she could have brought it with her in the cabin baggage.

You don't have to cross her over altogether but do not do any favours for her either and keep her at a safe distance.

Welcome to LS.

Favors from friends are gifts. Friendship, IMO, isn't predicated upon transactions. Had things worked out that way with one of my friends, I'd simply have called or messaged the place with the item and had them ship it to me. Probably I would have done that anyway and not made the request in the first place.

That said, if you feel the friendship to be one-sided, discontinue it. Friendships, and relationships of any sort, are voluntary. If minds don't meet, billions more to interact with.