my graduation and my bestfriend bachelor are same day!!!

I have this hard issue... my friend and I are bestfriends since 8 years and i love her so much. This year is our last year at university and the year of her wedding. Since i was a kid dad always wished to see me graduating and he'd be proud of me. He passed away 2 years ago but I always try to make his dreams come true. But now im facing this big problem the graduation ceremony is on the same day of her bachelor at first i said i'll skip my graduation just to be with her but then all my family got upset with me telling me thats ur dad's wish so when I told my bestfriend that I would be late like an hour from her party she became upset with me telling me that's not how friends behave.. im really upset what am I suppose to do...? Please help

Your graduation comes first, along with your family and honoring your father. Your friend will understand - or should, if she's a true friend. Do not skip your graduation. And your friend's petty attitude does not reflect well on her.

• Like 2
when I told my bestfriend that I would be late like an hour from her party she became upset with me telling me that's not how friends behave.. im really upset what am I suppose to do...? Please help

SHE became upset? Friends would understand personal commitments trump a party. And you have spent years getting ready for graduation. How long has she been getting for her party?

Sheesh...

Your friend expects you to miss your own graduation to attend her stupid party? Sorry but she's the one not behaving like a friend. You have worked years towards this and deserve to have your accomplishment celebrated. Go to your graduation, let your family enjoy being proud of you and you be proud of yourself. Tell your friend to suck it up and if she throws a hissy fit, dump her. It's not like you're missing her wedding day. Actually the more I think about it, I think if she were a good friend to you, she would attend your graduation and schedule her party for a different day. I say it's time to move on from your childhood and meet better people.

• Like 2
Actually the more I think about it, I think if she were a good friend to you, she would attend your graduation and schedule her party for a different day.

Great point!

• Like 1
Actually the more I think about it, I think if she were a good friend to you, she would attend your graduation and schedule her party for a different day.

I agree, too! Plus, remember that it's quite common for people to gather and celebrate with their families after the ceremony - it's really often a full day of events...

College graduation is a huge event in people's lives - it's been a years-long road to get there, families gather to celebrate, etc. And the date is immovable - you don't have control over when they happen (although they are known many months in advance.)

So first of all, for your friend to schedule her party on that same day is a clumsy mistake at best (You said it was "our last year at university..." is it also her graduation day?) and for her to get upset with your for prioritizing your graduation is really childish. I don't know what to tell you to do, as she will probably be childish about it either way, but just know that you are not out of line for prioritizing your graduation.

Edited by Trimmer
  • Like 1

You go to your graduation. Then you go to her party if you like. The fact that she thinks her bachelorette party is more important then your graduation would cause me to skip her party & rethink the friendship.

• Author

Thank you all for helping me in my issue... I'll just go to my graduation and then to the bachelor if im still invited :)

• Like 2