Your Opinion: Acquiantance to Friendship Level...

swedeace

Judging by everyone's personal experiences and/or learned knowledge (from sociological classes), how long do you find an aquiantance to turn into a friendship? I don't mean as a best friend or anything but more of a solid "friend" (someone to hang out with occassionally or even keep tabs with in each other's lives).

I AM aware of such factors such as common interests, visibility, etc, but I'm curious as to how one of these individuals can be VERY busy. If that is the case, how long have you experienced/read it'll take? I hear it can take up to three years on average for such a transformation in relationship to occur.

I don't mean going out to meet people such as clubs, volunteering, etc. I'm more interested in what if you already come across an individual who fits this criterion of acquiantance/possible friend?

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? ;)

The time it takes for an aquaintence to turn into a friendship. Well, it seems to me that if you're talking about friends who just go out and have fun (and not a very intimate friendship), then I don't think it has to take long at all. I met my best friend in college, and because we had the same classes, etc, we became friends. That probably took a semester. We might have been "friends" before the semester was up, but it seemed like my friends were the people I tried to find first when I returned for spring semester. I remember reading that it usually takes college freshman a semester to develop good friendships, so I don't see why that time-frame wouldn't apply to other people as well. It probably depends on how often you see your "aquaintance".

• Author

Bob47: Thanks for your response! :D Interesting about the college freshmen... mine is a little different - what about a college employee with a student friendship? It seems a little more difficult. :eek:

Make a couple minor efforts. If the person responds coolly or turns you down, forget about it. People really don't go around plotting like this. It's a sure sign you're about to come on way too strong.