Would you feel awkward about this?

purplesoccer34

purplesoccer34

I ended up with an injury so I looked around my area to find a reputable clinic. A friend of mine highly recommend a certain place. She told me that the doctors there are all great, so I called to make an appointment with them. The receptionist scheduled me for the earliest available appointment and so I took it. I did make note of the doctor's name, but I went into the appointment with only a rough idea of what to expect.

The doctor ended up being very nice, caring and he actually listened to me so I was happy and pleased. I had no problems about seeing him for future appointments. When I got home however, I briefly placed the papers he had given me on the kitchen table and my mom saw them. She instantly recognized the doctor's name and told me that he's a good family friend.

That definitely caught me by huge surprise, because prior to the appointment I could've sworn I had never seen this guy before. I started to wonder if he had ever seen me anywhere, and I was afraid of such a possibility. As a patient, would you find it awkward to see a doctor who you know is a close family friend? I heard something about doctors being told not to treat friends and family, but I don't know if that's true.

The appointment was strictly professional and I have no doubt it will stay that way every time I see him. Still, how would you feel?

I wouldn't be too worried at all, if he's a good Doctor keep seeing him, he can't be that close of a family friend if you've never met him before!

Not sure on what's legal on the ethical stakes on treating friends and family, but from my experience..most Doctors are strictly professional.

I work in the medical sector and have often been treated by medical professionals I know reasonably well. The only time I've ever had an issue was with a big mouthed receptionist.

The doctor isn't a really close family friend, at least not where you are concerned, if you've never seen or heard of him, and even if he were, there is no code of ethics rendering a doctor to refrain from treating friends.