Estranged friend just threw a curveball that just makes everything more complicated

pygora1994

Okay this is going to sound complicated

My ex (let's call him Jay) and I were estranged. bad break up and all the ugly glory. We are both guys and identify as gay (I think he does anyway). For a brief period he dated a girl (his best friend? let's call her Sue). I did not know her very well prior to the break up. they had been friends for years prior to this. While I was dating him she was studying abroad most of the time.

He breaks up with her about the same time Jay starts talking to me again. we only talk for a couple of weeks before Jay breaks off communication (he still wasn't over the last fight we had, and I still had feelings for him). During this period she and I start talking and hanging out. Sue remained his friend although she was still in love with him.

a few months later she ends her friendship with me and her friend (let's call her Katy) because she stood up for me. Katy also dislikes Jay for some reason I don't exactly know, which is part of the reason Sue ended her friendship with Katy. Katy and I become extremely close over the next couple of months.

Towards the end of the year, Jay messages me saying he is over the past and wants to be friends again. I agree and we start talking. I've seen him twice over the last two months and we talk occasionally. I don't have anything really complain about progress on the friendship has been slow because of our respective busy schedules. I can be patient as we rebuild trust in each other.

last week Sue comes back into my life apologizing. She is still friends with Jay, but I know they have had issues with her defriending him and refriending him a couple of times. I accept her apology and told her I forgave her. We arranged to meet for coffee this coming sunday. she added me to facebook and we followed each other in twitter.

The last couple of days Jay has been acting odd, and Sue has been posting things to twitter. Definitely deviations from their normal behavior.

So tonight I was browsing facebook and I noticed that she had defriended him. This just made things way more complicated than I wanted to be. I thought being friends with her would make things easier to be friends with Jay (its not the primary reason I forgave her or refriended her). I am not sure what to do, or even say.

I would just lay low for awhile and let them work it out. Don't let either of them drag you into it. Just say "Hope you work it out" if they start talking to you about it.