Is it a real friend?

pioneer

Ok, i have a bunch of old friends that i have literally been mates with since we were about 4. We don't really see each other anymore due to family commitments, moving away etc but i have always tried to keep in touch by mainly text messaging, the thing is a few moths ago i decided not to text them again to see if they did and guess what, they never did! months and months past by. Iv even tried to arrange meet ups to go out for a drink etc but they never come off.

I kind of know that if i don't make any effort to contact them, i will literally never hear off them again which is very sad when i think back to all the times we spent together as kids and and in our 20's.

Should i carry on my efforts to stay in touch or just accept that sadly, these friendships are over?

Frank2thepoint

I understand your frustration. Many of my friendships of youth ended because the they didn't make any effort, I spoke up, and nothing changed. I finally decided to not invest my precious time and energy, moved on with my life, and made new friends.

Concerning your situation, the least you can do is talk to your friends, preferably over the telephone. Friendships are just like any relationship, they require communication. Hopefully your friends will understand your point of view, or at least some of them will, and will put more effort into maintaining the friendship. Regardless of the outcome, don't stop making new friends.

• Like 1

It's sad how that happens. People get busy lives and some people look back fondly on old friends and others have no desire to revisit old friendships. I would say you've done your part. If any of them wanted to keep up, they know where to find you. They're probably just too busy.

That really sucks man, Ive been through something similar myself. It's horrible when it turns out the effort is one sided.

Like others have suggested, I would redirect that effort into making new friends. If it helps, Ive been going to local Meetup events and Ive met some really nice, friendly people. I've even made a friend who is so on my wavelength, it feels like I've known her for years.

So there are people out there who are in the same boat as you, and will appreciate your effort :)

The funny thing is, when old "friends" see these updates on social media, of me hanging out with a new crowd and trying new things, they suddenly got in touch again lol, almost like they felt left out.

People, hey?