crisis of confidence re friends

JHparkes

I am certainly old enough for things like this not to bother me but they still are and more so at the minute (maybe I am really depressed?!)

Anyways I am constantly paranoid that friends prefer other friends to me. For example, if a friend hasn't been in touch for a while (my friend who i have known on and off for years) and the last words were "We'll have to catch up soon" and nothing has happened, I will then see on facebook that she has caught up with another friend and it makes me feel hurt, which is pathetic I know.

HOnestly whenever I go on facebook people always seem to have loads of friends and things to do. I have a few friends but it always seems to be me making the effort (apart from maybe one person). Is this a natural feeling or what?

I saw a study a month ago that FB is making people depressed. I'm not on it because I know I would be so limited as to what I'd post that it wouldn't be worth it to me. I mean, you have to think what employers and coworkers would think of you. I keep that private.

It is depressing how few people actually are truly interested in one's daily comings and goings, though. I keep a private blog and none of my friends go read it unless I send them a link, if then. You have to keep in mind that most people are posting to draw attention to themselves, so there's way more writers than fans. My guess is whoever gives the most schmooze and flattery and parrots back whatever the poster said to show they're paying attention will get the most attention back. On a side note, even actual celebrities don't get that much real attention on their blogs or Facebook. They may have a bunch of followers, but those people aren't giving feedback much. I happen to follow a couple of profiler's blogs and it's the same four or five people who comment. It must be depressing to them as well. They're trying to sell books. The other one, an ex-tv profiler, hardly anyone is following. She has two blogs, one very personal, and I'm one of the only ones who comments -- and these people have been all over media.

I know someone who never writes anything but just lurks and watches. I truly don't see what she gets out of it. She sort of has a girl crush on this married woman because she likes her lifestyle (creative -- but she can afford to be because she's independently wealthy -- anyone can be creative if they don't have to make a living) and she talks about her as if they're friends and it has eventually become very annoying. I actually thought they were friends because she talked about her so much and then I innocently asked one day if she'd been out to her farm, and she acted shocked and said she never communicates with her but just watches her posts. I mean, what is the point in having a local person you are interested in as a friend but never having any communication with them? What is the fun in that? I have met the woman briefly and I'm sure she has too, but I guess she's just not proactive enough to try to become actual friends. So why be on Facebook at all? And then of course, there's the women my age who just post one kid photo after another, as if anyone except family has any interest in that. Sigh.

I say if you're getting depressed off FB, get off it! Call this person and see them face to face. If they won't do that, get off her as well!

Edited by preraph