Group texting .... Fed up!

Hello

I have a huge issue with group text messages from old long time buddies.

First, I need to start by saying I am a nice guy. I am not the angry type, I am low key. The spot light isn't my friend and I don't demand a lot from people. Most people think I am a really nice guy.

I think there is a time and place for group text messages. I have a group of friends, some of which barely kept in touch with me the last 15 years who are obsessed with group texting. These men are all in there 40's. Day in and day out they send group texts messages discussing the smallest things like what they ate for breakfast. Some days it starts at 730am and goes on for hours. Some days it's a conversation people just two people although 5 are in the group. The level and frequency of the group texts is almost unbelievable. It gets up to 50-60 a day three days straight.

I am not a big fan of this. It's annoying, particularly when it has nothing to do with me. I work freelance, my only phone is my cell phone. I can't turn it off. I made several attempts to block the numbers but it doesn't work. I have asked my friends to remove me off the group a dozen times in the last three months. All they do is make fun of me and try to bust on me. Which is fine a few times guys will be guys but in the end they never ever respect my request to remove me or start a new thread. I explain simply and nicely I am working or with a client or expecting a call but it just continues and they tell me to stop whining and complaining and that it will just continue if I do. I tried ignoring it for a while but it is extremely annoying. I am just fed up. The level and frequency of the group texts is almost unbelievable.

I worked until 330 am Sat. night. 7am my phone starts buzzing with texts non stop until almost noon. I explained that I worked late and please remove me. I can't turn off my phone. Once again they busted my chops. I became completely enraged. The level of disrespect for me in out of control, would you agree? They tell me friends bust on each other, I should chill, etc,,,etc.. but this has gone too far. They act like it's a damn joke and it's become a laughing matter. No matter what I say. To me, they aren't my friends if they can't respect me. I just am not interested and it doesn't matter why to me. A real friend would respect me. I was five minutes from filing harassment charges. Non of them would appreciate me calling there house or work fifty times in a day. Additionally, if they told me to stop I would. I was so mad that I would have resorted to violence if I had too. In the end, I literally ended up telling them all to go F-off. It's non stop and I am sick of it. To me, they are the whining, complaining ones. They just do it in a different way.

Feeling a little guilty but I know I am right. In the end friends respect each other. How do you all feel about my situation and group texts in general.

btw: I have an Android phone. I searched up and down how to get off a group text. You can't. No options.

Edited by bohica

Call your phone manufacturer or whoever has your service. I just called TMobile and they said all smartphones pretty much have the blocking feature now. I asked if it was on the phone or on the internet at the carrier, and he said it was on the phone.

• Like 1
  • Author

I think my actions have pretty much resolved the issue.

More curious about how others feel, how they see my friends behavior, and my reactions.

Thanks

I would be angry with it too. I simply turn off my phone when I'm sleeping because I have sleeping problems and limited time to sleep. If I get woken up, I will be up all night even if I only had 2 hours sleep.

But if they wouldn't remove me from the group text, I would consider getting a work phone and leave that one on, turn off the other except when you feel like it. Or worst case scenario you could contact your provider and have them block their numbers manually. I don't think you're being unreasonable or out of line at all.

I too don't like this. I get this a lot from my co-workers at work and sometimes it'll be directed mainly at 2 specific people but they are group texting 5 of us. My extended family also does this. Why people do this, I have no idea.

Your friends sound like disrespectful morons. You weren't being unreasonable by asking them to stop including you in all the group texts. That **** is super annoying.

But I think your reaction wasn't great. Filing harassment charges or getting violent? All because your phone beeped and your friends annoyed you. Then you told them to F off. I can't tell if this was a friendship-ending move for you or not. Do you plan to still be friends with them?

• Author
Your friends sound like disrespectful morons. You weren't being unreasonable by asking them to stop including you in all the group texts. That **** is super annoying.

But I think your reaction wasn't great. Filing harassment charges or getting violent? All because your phone beeped and your friends annoyed you. Then you told them to F off. I can't tell if this was a friendship-ending move for you or not. Do you plan to still be friends with them?

The level of disrespect was unquestionably a sign of people who are not true friends. There is a time and place for group texts and you should always respect the opt out. I am talking about hundreds of texts and several request to remove me because I was working, on the phone or just plain not interested. I don't think I would have taken those measures and I didn't threaten anyone with them. I was making the point of just how mad I was. Lastly, yes I did tell them to go f themselves. So what. My actions and words were a very last resort.

To remain friends or not over this is there call not mine. They were in the wrong. We are adults and if you can't respect me then I don't need you as friends. This is what is called a choice point in there lives. To the left, Have some compassion and understanding, apologize and remain friends. To the right, no friendship....

These are grown men.

Edited by bohica