When and where do you make the best friends?

NeuroBeam

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask a question. I had meet with a mentor of mine yesterday for lunch and had asked her if she felt that she made any close friends after college (she's just finishing up her Phd). She said she did, but she said she was a firm believer that you make the best of friends in high-school and in college. It made me feel wary, because while I do have friends in college, I don't think I have much in terms of close friends. I also had recently fought with my best friend( who I knew since high school) who decided to end the relationship.

Since the breakup with my friend, I have been doing what I can to stay positive and feel better about myself. Such as looking into therapy, talking to other people outside my social group, and even going online to vent out my frustration.

Overall it's been a lonely process, but I'm thankful that I have a few people I can talk to about this. I look to the future and I believe that though I might not have a lot of friends now, doesn't mean that I won't have any as I get older. I just don't think that high school and college is where you make the best of friends. Because we are always changing, and we constantly find new people to meet and talk to.

But what do you guys think? Do you feel that our best of friends is in the short years that we are in school, or that we can find them at any point in our lives? Thanks for reading! :3

I made some great friends the following ways after school:

• doing a summer share

• at work

• clubs & organizations where we had common goals

• Like 1

Some of my very best friends are from school but I count people I met after school among my best friends too.

People I met at work, people I met through my sports team and people I've met through other mutual friends.

todreaminblue

i think when you are open hearted you meet friends or potential friends anywhere......everyone is a stranger until they are a friend......i believe if people walk into or out of your life there's a reason.......i treat everyone like a friend until they prove otherwise....deb

Neurobeam,

I don't have any friends from school because I left the area when I went to Uni, lost contact and never went back to that area, then made new friends at Uni.

I made new friends (after university) ;-

1. at Church

2. working with animal rescue organisations

3. at work

4. at music/choir practice

5. just chatting to people in the street/in shops/at craft fairs/

6. political groups

If you have interests and hobbies then you can soon make new friends.

Good luck x