Social interaction is dead....

iDrumKing

While sitting in my Anatomy class today I couldn't help but to notice the dead silence that was making me feel very uncomfortable. There are roughly 30 students and while looking around, about 25/30 students were glued to their phones.

There was no interaction whatsoever... no discussing of school work, jobs, parties, etc. NOTHING.

I'm just sitting over here trying to spark up a conversation with my neighbor who can hardly carry on a conversation.

I love to talk to people. Tell me your life story, I don't care what we talk about. Is that "strange" of me?

Why do (most) people lack conversation skills these days? It's sad...

• Like 6

Because of all this technology. This is why people have no imagination anymore. It seems everything is a repeat of yesteryears. Nothing is really new in music, cinema or fashion. **facepalm**

• Like 3

Technology seems to have killed face-to-face communication, which is the only real way to get to know someone. Even worse, those who grew up with it don't know how to have a conversation and it scares them. It's not good.

• Like 6
  • Author
Because of all this technology. This is why people have no imagination anymore. It seems everything is a repeat of yesteryears. Nothing is really new in music, cinema or fashion. **facepalm**

Right? I remember stopping by a cigar shop earlier this year. Sat next to an older fellow with a beer in one and and my cigar in the other. He told me stories from his life. It was like reading a book. You learn so much.

It makes this small technological world seem so much bigger.

Just open up your mouth and talk...

• Like 3
  • Author
Technology seems to have killed face-to-face communication, which is the only real way to get to know someone. Even worse, those who grew up with it don't know how to have a conversation and it scares them. It's not good.

I agree. I'm thankful that my parents restricted my use of the internet and phone when I was younger. Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as those in my class.

I couldn't agree more. People have become socially inept and don't know how to be around eachother anymore.

Edited by Beachead
Always Pondering

I have to agree with preraph and say that the young people nowadays are often too dependent on technology as a means of communication. I've grown quite accustomed to seeing people's foreheads when I pass by them in between classes, it's quite sad really.

I can only imagine how the future generations to come will be like, although I'm hoping it won't be like what I think it'll be like.

This isn't even restricted to the younger generation! I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office the other day and every single solitary person was glued to their phones, no matter what their age. Except me. I had my phone but didn't use it.

I looked around the room and what's more odd than seeing a room of people all texting constantly is how terrified they all looked. Like they were so insecure that if I dared to say hello to one of them, they'd have a nervous breakdown and be carried out to an ambulance! The tension in the room was so thick it started making me nervous. I thought to myself, get ahold of yourself, their tension and nervous energy is not yours. I leaned back in my chair and relaxed. Looked out the window to see how the weather was going. But these people looked on the verge of a psychotic break or something.

I don't run into this in my daily life just because of the situations I'm usually in but I kept hearing people talk about how bad it's getting. This was my first real experience with it the other day. It's just as bad as people kept telling me it was!

I was surprised though to see people in their 50's and 60's sitting next to teenagers texting exactly like them. Both hands glued to the phone looking like...well, it looked like the whole room needed a few Xanax or Valiums to calm down and relax!

Cell phones have become like a disease and once people catch it, their social interaction skills get eaten alive.

• Like 1

I like to disappear off for days out and on my own.

I have a few haunts around London I know and have loved for years.

I always have a few breaks in my day for a coffee, lunch or a cold cider and I prefer to watch the world go by while I do.

Others who are on their own are 'head in phone' though.

It's like they don't have the confidence to just be on their own and see what is going on around them and just relax.

On occasions I've met some great people...who didn't do this.

I remember one day heading off to a museum in London and when I got there Gay Pride was happening.

I decided I would go find a pub and have a cider then go back and see some free music.

A guy called Oliver asked if he could share my table as it was busy.

We sat there silent for a short while and one of us started talking..I can't remember who.

We ended up there for three hours chatting, buying each other drinks and telling our life stories and it was fascinating and a great laugh! He was a lovely guy!

Oliver made my day that day! :D

He gave me a badge from the march which happened and he had attended before the Gay Pride music festival started...I still have that badge.

That is what life 'used' to be like...and that happened only about a year and a bit ago.

What was different? Neither of us had our heads in our phones....

• Like 4

Its also making people a lot more bitchy and full of self importance.

After all if the person you are being nasty towards can't turn round and lump you one in the face then what "danger" is there in hurting another persons feelings?

Its why I have just deleted my Facebook account. I started seeing the most lovely and wonderful people join in with bitchfests and vile behavior that simply would not happen face to face. They actually thought it was OK because it was a "random" person. Of course "random people" are not human because its all on a computer screen... :rolleyes: I saw too many happy memories being turned into misery. That is in no way a positive thing.

I decided that it was causing too much stress and I wanted to live in the "real" world and respect others feelings as I would want myself to be respected regardless of online or reality...

Technology is great in many ways. I get to see my best friend a couple of times a week via Skype and hear her voice etc. That means the world to me as she lives so far away. But its also being twisted and turned.

We are missing so much because we rely on technology to tell us. I got lost in the woods walking the dogs last night. My friend sent me a message to tell me to use google maps to find my way home. I asked where the fun in that was. By being lost I found that the woods where I walk has a woodland gym, with all this amazing equipment, for free and far better than being enclosed by 4 walls, I met a lovely chap walking his dogs and had a chat for 5 minutes, I saw some stunning scenes and walked with 8 deer running through the woods and past me. Tell me how I could get that over the web?

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I returned to further study last year. None if the students mixed or were friendly. They stayed within their own groups. I got stuck working with the same girl everytime. No one liked her because of her views, so therefore I was outer too.

• Like 1

I did the course for about 6 months and would've continued this year, if it wasn't for illness.

How many classes have you had so far? I have noticed that people tend to be quiet for the first few classes, then open up around mid semester.