Thoughts on Friendship Quality

I'm wondering if anyone has ever thought about what has led them to the friendships that they have?

As an introspective person, and in response to a long pattern of unfulfilling friendships I have had, I’ve spent a long time thinking about what I CAN DO to make things better. Some questions that have come to my mind are:

Are there are things within myself that could be contributing to these friendships?

What really makes me choose the friends that I have?

How do I know if a friendship with someone is positive, neutral or negative?

I’m wondering if anyone else has ever thought about some of these questions? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about what you feel has contributed to the types of friendships you have.

Also, if anybody is interested, I am running a study as part of my PhD in clinical psychology on adult friendships, which is on online survey that takes approximately 25-30 minutes to complete. It is an investigation into the factors that may predict friendship quality. Feel free to have a look, absolutely no pressure. The link is below:

[COLOR=#339999]https://www.psychsurveys.org/cweiner/friendshipquality[/COLOR]

I would love to hear your thoughts and open up a discussion about some of the themes in what you have found in terms of what you know about yourself and how it relates to your friendships. This discussion/ forum post is in no way related to my research, and is purely out of personal interest.