Need to evict my friend. Should I avoid giving him a somewhat harsh written notice?

I have a friend who I've known since October. About 2 months ago he moved in on the couch for an unspecified amount of time (paying a bit of rent). It's necessary for him to move out asap even though he has nowhere to go. I'm giving him 30 days notice and as his "landlord" am legally required to do it in writing. If I only give verbal notice there's an off chance that, at the last minute, he will ignore it and refuse to move out (I don't know him all that well). Then I will have to wait 30 more days.

So I've looked up a written legal notice template. It sounds kind of harsh and unfriendly. I would appreciate some advice. Do you think I should give him this notice or be friendlier and risk it by doing it verbally instead? As a friend, would you be upset if I gave it to you instead of doing it verbally? This is what's on the document:

TO: ___xxxxx____

You are hereby notified that your tenancy of the following premises, to-wit: ____xxxxxx_______

situated in the City of Chicago, in the County of Cook, and State of Illinois, will terminate on the __5th_ day of _May_, _2014_ and you are now hereby required to surrender possession of said premises to the undersigned on that day.

Dated at Chicago, Illinois, this ______day of ________, 20_____

Landlord

STATE OF ILLINOIS, SS. AFFIDAVIT OF SERVICE -- When served by a person not an officer

County of Cook

I, __xxxxx____, being duly sworn, on oath deposes and says that on the

_____day of ___________, 20____ he served the within notice by delivering a copy thereof to the within named tenant, _____xxxxxx_______

Subscribed and sworn to before me

this _________day of ________, 20______.

Notary Public

Eternal Sunshine

I would give it to him. You don't want to take any chances. As previous poster said, soften the blow with some kind words.