Will he be friends with me after going from dating to a relationship didn't work out?

paigej91

We met in a professional setting (we don't work together though), and ending up becoming fast friends- we just clicked. Naturally, we ended up going on dates because we were both quite attracted to each other too. At first I was hesitant to go on a first date because of the context, but then I thought, "why the hell not".

From there, we dated intermittently (key word) over the course of probably 5 months- maybe went on 11-15 dates total. I didn't sleep with him though because I wanted to be exclusive/nearing a relationship before that happened. We stopped dating because he was sexually frustrated and I was emotionally frustrated.

Enough time has passed and I'm not one to make it awkward for no reason. I'd really like to be friends with him because even though it didn't work out, we get along famously and I enjoy his company (pretty sure this can be said for him as well).

Is he unlikely to be just friends with me? Stated differently, would he probably prefer to not keep in touch regularly? I feel like men never want to be friends with women they find attractive and have a soft spot for unless they're getting some. But maybe I'm wrong and I just read too many things exaggerating men's sexual nature.

(To be honest, he'd also be nice to have as a person in my professional network so that's another good reason to still keep in touch :p)

Edited by paigej91

I dont blame him for being sexually frustrated. I have seen this happen and its not the best place to be for a guy. Have fun with him and stay friends if you think he is not relationship material. I bet you will have satisfaction in the process too:D

• Author
I dont blame him for being sexually frustrated. I have seen this happen and its not the best place to be for a guy. Have fun with him and stay friends if you think he is not relationship material. I bet you will have satisfaction in the process too:D

I empathize with his frustration- I don't want him to be frustrated. I am/was equally as frustrated in the emotional realm of things, though. He is emotionally unavailable right now.

I had fun with him while it lasted, but I want to make sure we stay friends because we get along famously. How can I stay friends with him and increase the likelihood he won't just bail simply because I didn't sleep with him?