Connected back with old friend

Hi folks, Opinions on this....?

My old best friend and I had a falling out about 2 years ago, really haven't spoken since. A lot of it came down to his new girlfriend at the time. He was getting rather lonely and depressed and when he met this girl, clung for dear life.

I didn't like how she mistreated him and she knew it, we just never clicked. But she had him wrapped around her finger. He is a non-confrontational sort of guy, We had disagreements over his behaviour during this time but when we aired it out, we both cooled off and it was fine... but then he'd go off and come back at me all guns blazing later...

.. From what I could see she was influencing him heavily, like when we sorted things out he would go off talk to her and she'd turn him mind again to come back at me.

We split contact, it wasn't healthy and I had enough.

A little while back I sent him a text message basically saying the past was in the past and did he want to see if we could move on from it. He replied positively... we met up for a beer a few days later and it was good.

Since then he's shot me a few messages here and there. We'd keep saying "lets me up this weekend" when we're both on the town but when it comes to it, he's out with his girlfriend and the texts stop, he just vanishes again. Pretty much the behaviour he started when he met his GF. Always ditching his friends.

After reaching out I felt positive about it, and when we exchange messages during the week it seems like he's up for getting together but it's like the weekend comes when we plan to meet up and he'll be out with his girlfriend and others and he sort of fobs me off again. Clearly she isn't happy to see me around again. I don't know for sure but I'd suspect that by the time Fri/Sat evening comes, they are talking and she disapproves of me showing up. I don't know that for sure but going on past history that seems to be the case.

I don't know what to do. I reached out, I'm up for hanging out and putting the past in the past but it just seems like it's not going to happen, nothing has changed... he'll be all up for it but then hide behind his girlfriends wishes again. Maybe he can let the past go but she probably can't, she seems that way.

Should I bother anymore? For old times sake I wanted to let it all go but I'm doubting now whether it's worth bothering with.