I'd like to write to a U.S. soldier (pen-pal/support)...need help please

befuddled11

I'm a Canadian, but I keep abreast, daily, of the fighting in Iraq and all that the U.S. troops are doing/going through. I understand what they have to do, for their country...but it still breaks my heart. With the recent deaths of U.S. soldiers, over the past few months (seems more lately),

I can't help but feel so sad that there must be a lot of them over there who are really scared and unsure if they'll ever make it home alive. I also can't help but think there must be some of them who don't have a wife or girlfriend back home waiting for them, maybe there's some who don't have any family back home.

I would very much like to write to a U.S. soldier......even if they're not able to write back, just so they know that someone cares and thinks about them. I mean this in a "friendship" sort of way.

How would I go about doing this?? (as a Canadian)

Is there a reputable website out there that can sort of connect a person who wants to write, with a soldier who maybe doesn't have anyone back at home? (I wouldn't want to be writing to someone who has a girlfriend or husband, obviously).

Many thanks for input you might have

Blucordwife

I am a wife of a soldier and if you would like to write to one there is a web site that is all military and just post that you would like a pin pal to write to. It is <commercial address removed> go to the discussion board on the home page then under personals you'll find someone. I hope this helps. :)

I made a few calls and found your best bet is to do the following:

Write a letter or letters to servicemen and leave them unsealed. Put them in a manilla envelope and address it to: Letters to Iraq Military; United Service Organization (USO); 625 8th Avenue, North Wing; Second Floor; New York, New York 10018

The USO is an organization which serves morale needs of servicemen and has been doing so for many, many years. Bob Hope used to do the annual tours for them. They would not give out individual servicemen's names for privacy reasons but they perform a forwarding service and are delighted that you have this interest. They encourage as many letters as possible because, as you may have guessed, there are men there who don't get much mail.

I think it would make any man's day in Iraq to get a nice letter from Canada or anywhere. Such a great idea and what a way to make a terrifying war just a bit more pleasant for the men who face death every day.

If you need more information on the USO, simply put them in google and go to town.

I think that's such an excellent thing to do, especially since so many soldiers are very young and this is their first time overseas. Great idea, befuddled! It's meaningful support for soliders that circumvents all the political nonsense of other gestures. Maybe I'll write too.

And thanks for the info, Tony & bluecordwife!

I think its great, especially coming from a Canadian. I appreciate that because it makes me feel closer to Canada too, so I can imagine the impact your letter will have on a US soldier. :D

I have written to my family serving in Iraq and I just finished writing my Dear Soldier letter too. Thanks for the address Tony. :)

You have inspired me befuddled11, I think I will write a Dear Soldier letter to our allies as well.

reasontosigh

This article, from a Washington state newspaper, list many sites and resources for sending emails, cards, letters, and care packages to the troops:

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/160965

I was doing a search for the address for the letter campaign run by Dear Abby and found the article, which includes that site and quite a few others!

Blucordwife

Like I said my husband was in Iraq for a year and is thinking of going active duty and I know there are a lot of soldiers who are away from friends and family and need a boost to their morals. With all of you wanting to write to soldiers it would make their day. I can't give out names for security reasons but like Isaid military.com is a wonderful starting point and the others are good to but if your wanting someone that isn't married or has a girlfriend you might want to look at military.com first it gives profiles of some soldiers. If you have questions feel free to email me I will be happy to email you back

befuddled11

I did as you suggested and I posted at Military.com

I also found a website called Operation Sandbox and wrote to them asking how I could go about writing to a soldier.

And lastly, I went to AdoptaPlatoon.org and sent in my information, to be able to write to a soldier.

Thanks so much!!

Blucordwife

It is so nice to see people support our troops. You are going to have alot of fun meeting new people. Good luck and keep me posted

befuddled11

For anyone who responded here, or reading, who'd also like to write to U.S. soldiers in Iraq and thereabouts, I found this WONDEFUL website yesterday...called Books for Soldiers (click on the following "external link" to get there):

http://www.booksforsoldiers.com

There's a whole bunch of forums. Look for the one titled, Operation Forgotten Soldier.

Inside that forum, you can find the names and addresses of tons of poor U.S. soldiers who have not been getting any mail, or barely any. Some even have email addresses. You can also send used books or make up a care-package for them, and send it in a shoebox (apparently it's free postage for Americans to send care-packages to the U.S. soldiers).

I wrote 13 letters yesterday, and was able to mail them today.

befuddled11 :)