New place...just need friends

msfreebyme

I am one of those people that are terrified of conversations and it is hard for me to make connections with people. I am extremely quiet and mostly introverted college student. I just moved to a different state a few weeks ago and I need some advice on how to go about making friends and talking with strangers.

Any ideas? Maybe share your experience?

I am one of those people that are terrified of conversations and it is hard for me to make connections with people. I am extremely quiet and mostly introverted college student. I just moved to a different state a few weeks ago and I need some advice on how to go about making friends and talking with strangers.

Any ideas? Maybe share your experience?

one time i was gently asked about my interests by an aquaintance who was looking for ppl to go to the cinema with, i have more confidence now so i do the asking, no need to make it a worry, just chat, like the Happy Talk song says... "Happy talking, talking happy talk, talk about things you like to do, you've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how're you going to make a dream come true?"...from the hit film South Pacific

i think you need to practise being carefree, i think we are all shy at times, just try half an hour of being confident and happy, or even five minutes, to get the hang of it, fyi, here's the whole sugar-sweet song > link >

at first, just say hello to ppl you see around - whoever says it back likes you, so next time you see them ask "how are things?" and/or "how's life?" ("how are you?" doesn't quite get ppl to stop and chat, imho) ask about them, their lives, bond like that, smile at them...offer to swap phone numbers and to meet for a coffee...then again, some ppl just chat and chat, get conversant with a few subjects so that you have somthing to say about...the news, the kardashians, any topical stuff in general...

it's a lottery, some aquaintanceships don't take off (nothing much past saying hello, or one meeting and then nothing more) while others blossom into close friendships - that's us humans for you

Edited by darkmoon
  • Like 1