Friend is hurting himself and his own image just for attention!

sexirubberducky13

sexirubberducky13

*I have already posted about my love life but this is about my friend Nick*

My friend Nick has had a history of lying. Or maybe just telling far-fetched stories just to make himself look cool. I've been really worried about him and why would he be doing such things to himself for attention. He's cut himself many times, he lies about "being famous" *long story*. he has gotten his girlfriend pregnant and she had an abortion but we don't even know if this is true because we were never shown proof *we as in my other friends he turned to*. He lies about his family wanting to give him up to a foster home and i wonder if that is even possible. He's has also lied about things to break up my friendship with another person so i'd give HIM more attention *that is what started it all*

My friend is in serious need of help and i don't know what to do for him. Every day he worsens and i think it'll come to a point where he'll try to hurt him self even worse than he already has. All my other friends tell me to ignore him because he's sick but i want to help him...

ADVICE PLEASE!

The best way to help him is to get the adults in his life - presumably his parents - to see that he has a problem and needs some help with it. Anything you could do towards that end would be worthwhile.

Originally posted by capitald

Confront him (gently) on his lying or stop being friends with him.

WONDERFUL advice.

Try to get to the bottom of his lying. Maybe there is a reason he is striving for all this attention. Sounds like to me there could be alot more underneath his surface, alot of TRUTH he isn't telling you. I had a friend yrs ago who had this similar problem of compulsive lying and ended up having some serious issues I had no idea about in her home life.

I agree with confronting him gently about this. It is often hard to pre judge someone without knowing there circumstances, however lying to friends and family can only make matters worse. Let him know that you are concerned and that you are always there for him no matter what. He needs to feel that he can trust you.

It also sounds like he may have some self estem issues. I think that maybe he is making some of this stuff up just to get a rise out of people, maybe not however!! Talk to him, friend to friend. Hope this helps!!!