Online friend..

Zappie

Hey! I’m sorry for the long text but I feel it’s hard to explain the situation shortly.

So to get started: I've had this online friendship going for over eight years now I think – we first met when playing an online game together. We've never met in person as we live in different countries. but although it has only been an online friendship I've always valued it very much - especially because I'm shy and bad at making friends in real life and I considered him as a very nice person and in the past he has said he feels the same way about our friendship. He’s one of the few if not only person I’ve felt comfortable sharing all my thoughts with and he has always been telling me things of very personal level as well. I have done my best to keep the friendship up, always listened to his trouble (and he has had tons), tried to offer compassion and advice. Lately we haven't been in touch quite so much - sometimes months have gone by without me hearing from him - probably mostly because he simply doesn't spend much time on computer anymore but I still imagined he would consider me as a friend. Now that I think of it I think he has lately been contacting me mostly when he has some sort of trouble in his life that he wants to share but I don't really see that as a problem as I like to listen to him and that’s kind of the role I’ve taken over the years I suppose.

Anyway in August I came to his country for half a year of exchange studies. Now that we would finally have a chance to meet in real life with relative ease he has shown hardly any interest to do so and is barely staying in touch. I must say we're still 3-4 hour bus/train ride apart but meeting would still be easy compared to before. Once or twice he has said he'd try to find days when he has time to come and visit but he hasn't said anything more about it afterwards and he hasn't invited me to visit him either - which I find funny considering that it has not been so long since he was still constantly hoping I'd come to visit him. I know he's busy with his life - he moved together with his new girlfriend, new school etc. but if he really was a friend shouldn't he be able to (and want to) find a day or two to meet an old friend (for the first time!)? I just can’t believe anyone would be so busy that they wouldn't find time if they actually cared at all. Oh and it’s been four months that I’ve been here now if I didn’t mention.

It’s silly how much it actually hurts to be ignored by him like this. Now I’m thinking I’ll just say goodbye to him but first I’d like to hear your opinions on this. I know I can be needy and clingy at times but I think I do pretty good job at hiding it. Do you think I am over reacting or is it reasonable and normal to be pissed at this point? I’m just getting tired of waiting and hoping for him to show some sign of being the friend I hoped him to be.

Thank you if you actually bothered to read that!