Opened our Home to Family Friends/In-Laws while their Power is out

venusianx13

I just need to vent for a second...

In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, my sister's husband's mother, step-father and two younger siblings are still without power. We invited them to stay at our place, since we have power now. I'd never wish for anyone to reside in near freezing conditions...which is what temps have been like here during the night. And besides, I'd hope someone would do the same for me and my family if the situation was reversed. Also, they brought their lovely golden retriever, Mazy. She really is a good dog, but she doesn't get along with other dogs, so we had to lock our dog up in a bedroom. And now, it's a barkfest in the house. My poor dog is confined to the back bedroom and is not happy about it, understandably.

Well, things were okay the first night. Gave them a hot, home-cooked meal, showers, etc. We're on day two, now, and it's starting to get to me. The kids got up at 6am today and ran around, screaming, playing with toys, and making all kinds of noise. I got up and asked them to please be quiet, and after I went back into my bedroom, they continued with the noise. Their parents did nothing to control them. I didn't have to be up for another hour, but the noise kept me awake. Aggravating. And when I did get up, the coffee that I'd set up last night to be brewed in the morning, was all gone. Not cool.

The kids ripped my son's room apart. All of his toys, which were cleaned up on Saturday, are now strewn all over. My bathroom, which was cleaned up on Saturday, also, is now a mess. And their stuff, is literally all over the house.

The kids opened up the fridge and accidentally dumped a container of blueberries on the floor. Before I had a chance to say I'd just wash them off, their mom had thrown them in the trash. A full container of blueberries. :( I am just so, so aggravated...

I wouldn't want to kick them out. I just needed to vent here. I would have hoped that house guests would have more respect than this.

You're doing a very kind thing, it's a shame they are so disrespectful....hopefully they'll get their power back soon! Yeah, the blueberries...small detail, but that's really not cool.

• Author

Oh, I am praying for their power to come back on!! ;)

Oh, and just in case, I have decided to post showering schedules because my bathroom has been monopolized incessantly and it was difficult to get in there this morning. :mad: The house is not very big, I think that's the biggest problem in all of this. I'm just frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent!

Oh, and just in case, I have decided to post showering schedules because my bathroom has been monopolized incessantly and it was difficult to get in there this morning. :mad:

Omg...I totally respect you, never thought about the bathroom situation, eegads.

• Like 1

Your house, your rules. Parents and kids alike. Charity isn't a license to permit abuse. The 'price' of their imposition, welcomed by your family due to circumstances, is that they behave as polite and appreciative house-guests. If other, back to the streets they go.

Dogs can live outside fine. They do all the time, all over the world. Even in winter, which it's not anyway. Mazy will do fine outside.

Since you said 'our', I presume you're married. Team approach time. Good luck.

• Like 5

I hope my wife and I are being better guests to my uncle. We are making sure to buy food, do repairs and clean up after ourselves because we will be here for a while. He has no pets so our cat is fine.

I hope your family get their power back on soon and all of you can have some peace again.

• Like 4
  • Author

You sound like considerate house guests, Woggle. I see you're down the shore - glad you're safe. I'm in Central NJ, and while it's nothing like the shore, we're still in a state of disrepair. Hope things improve for everyone, quickly.

UpwardForward

Oh, and just in case, I have decided to post showering schedules because my bathroom has been monopolized incessantly and it was difficult to get in there this morning. :mad: The house is not very big, I think that's the biggest problem in all of this. I'm just frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent!

God Bless You and with opening your heart and home.

They are being very disrespectful. You would probably hold your breath rather than have a confrontation - but if it takes much longer for power restoration, you may have to talk about the situation with them.

And yes I agree the dog should go outside.

Just wanted to share something funny: My mother's neighbor's wife's sister/brother-in-law (and children) moved in with them after loosing their home to foreclosure.

After several months, neighbor sold the home to his inlaws - and he holds the note. Inlaws to just make monthly payments.

Then neighbor purchased another home - for he, his wife & children.

• Like 1

I'd sit down with the adults and say that there will be some houserules while they stay with you. Ask them to convey this to the children.

Otherwise, if this remains unresolved and goes on for much longer, it's likely to cause bad feeling in the future.

• Like 1

It baffles me how parents can let their kids be total brats and not even discipline them.

I was spoilt, and an only child actually, but my parents would never let me just run around causing trouble!

....So yeah, no words of advice, I am just really shocked by how some people can act.

.... I mean, as if you let your kids run around, opening the fridge and ruining expensive food, without even telling them off!?!?!?!?!!

I would be the bigger person here, and wait it out, but tell your husband how you feel after they leave.

You have every right to be angry at them, but the better outcome would be if you just kept quiet until they left, and then inform your partner as to how you really feel.

He would be impressed that you put your family situation before you own personal feelings, and did not want to risk making things awkward in the future.