Why do decent people hang out with indecent people?

SpiralOut

I've been trying to create a social circle for myself. One of the frustrations is that I'll get invitations from people whom I genuinely like. They seem like good people with their heads on straight. But some of the people they hang out with are losers! I've posted a couple threads on here about different people I've had issues with and there seems to be a general agreement that these people are not good to hang around.

So I've been struggling with trying to stay away from the group, only to cave in every now and then because I thought I could just ignore the people I dislike and focus on the ones I do like.

Nope. It's not working. Not only am I disgusted by certain people, but I don't understand why the nice people just put up with it! And appear to actually enjoy the friendship of these losers who think it's okay to hit on other women's boyfriends and husbands! Why would anybody want someone like that as their friend?? It makes me look at the group as a whole and want nothing to do with it anymore!!

I know this means it is time to move on. I just need to find a circle that feels right for me. But it's so confusing to understand, like why do these people with good moral values choose to associate with people that I don't want to touch with a 10 foot stick? Are they just people who are TOO forgiving of other people's faults??

SarahRose

birds of a feather tend to flock together.

the people you like may be losers but in ways you don't see yet.

• Author
SpiralOut

Well I'm starting to feel like a loser too now!! Seriously last time I saw these people, I spent the whole night sitting there in a state of disbelief and shock as I come to realize, oh my god, look at us! Telling stories about how badly we are treated at work and laughing off all the bad stuff that's happening! But it's not funny it is wrong. We all deserve better but we are just putting up with it.

There is one person the others don't like and I see why. He has strong morals. And he seems to be gravitating towards me, I have noticed. He tries to talk to me about stuff that is happening that's wrong. The others feel annoyed by him because he reminds them of the truth. Well okay he's a bit annoying but I don't have any problems with him. I think I will try harder to be friendly with him.

freestyle

Are you familiar with the phrase, "crabs in a barrel?"

One tries to climb out, to head for better conditions, but the others keep pulling him back in....

• Author
SpiralOut

I never heard that expression before but it makes sense to me.

The girl I get along with best, I talked to her a little bit today about it. She basically just brushed it off. I don't know if that's her way of not wanting to talk badly about others or if she just honestly thought it was no big deal.

*sigh*

someone else sent me a FB message apologizing for the weird stuff that happened and asking me if I was okay. So I mentioned some things to her and am waiting for a response. Mostly I am curious to see which of these people actually think the same way as me and which ones don't.