How do you find people you lost touch with?

flannelpajamas

flannelpajamas

I had this awesome friend in high school, very liberal and caring and passionate about social issues. She went away to North Carolina. I saw her once during our college years but we lost touch. I really think about her a lot, even though it has been years and years. I'm getting married and I wish she could be at my wedding and that we could re-connect. My problem is I can't find her anywhere. I've tried Classmates and the internet yellow pages and all the free searches but...nothing. I know I could hire a P.I. but that is a bit drastic. Have any of you found lost people? How much would a P.I. charge anyway?

Does your high school have a website? Or perhaps try the college website - don't know if that would have any information on alumni, but call their alumni office, and they may be able to let her know you're trying to get in touch.

I can relate to you in away. I had this one friend I meet during my senior year of college last year, and he was my going out partner. He was the best and would always call me and call me when he was on business. He was always there and wanted to hang out with me. I miss him greatly though, because throughout my senior year I was having a rough time, and it was just getting so hard that when I ended up leaving school, I did not talk to him not for anything that he has done it was because of the depression thing and lots on my mind. Anyways, I am looking for him now because he I think moved and that was his plan to move out of this apartment in July. Well, I did not talk to him, and then I wanted to talk to him, and I just got a busy signal. The thing is I know he is still in Syracuse, but I can't think of this last name for the life of it so I can find him on the net. PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

As far as you, I don't know what to say. You obviously probubly know her last name, you could do a search and it would probubly be easy to find. I know I have done searches on YAHOO and they give lists of peoples names and their locations and the age. All the other info you have to pay for. Do a YAHOO search under finding people. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Google search the last name (with first if possible) as well as the State (at least)--you'll see if he's listed. As strange as this sounds, it's how I found my grandparents when no one in my house could remember their darn number :p

Well, what happens if you forgot the last name and you can't think of it for the life of you? Then what do you do?

I'm not sure if colleges have yearbooks, but a number of them do have alumni directories.

I once worked (briefly) as a telemarketer for a company that publishes them. We would call the alumni on behalf of the school to help sell them.

Ordinarilly, we don't post links to commercial sites on LoveShack. However, in the interest of you finding your long lost friend I will give you http://www.classmates.com You can do a search there for free...but you'll have to pay to join the site to get your friend's contact information if she has registered with this site. I have no financial interest in the site nor do I endorse it or promise it will be of any help whatsoever.

If she's as awesome as you say, her name is highly likely to pop up in a google search. You might even find her through the high school where she graduated since there are committees who keep up with the whereabouts of graduates in order to inform them of class reunions every ten years or so. Ask the schoool principal who may be doing that for the year you graduated.

Well, what happens if the person is someone you did not go to college with, and you think his last name is either Smith or Schmidt?

The college's alumni office could work with that, I'm thinking, provided you know the year of graduation. You do know the first name, and if it's only a choice of two last names it wouldn't be hard to figure out from there. Most have their records computerized now, so it's just a matter of conducting an internal search.

If you didn't have any idea of year of graduation, then it would be tough indeed.

• Author
flannelpajamas

I did the google thing dyermaker suggested, and I actually found a PDF file that lists someone of the same name as an immigration lawyer in Washington DC. They had a little biographical profile on her and from the details they gave I am 99% sure that it really is her..........so based on that info I'm going to try yellow pages again. I also put an ad in lost and found on Craig's List.