Is it bad to be friends with a guy my friends don't like?

I have this guy friend that I use to have a thing with. We hooked up a couple of times but it was strictly a friends with benefits relationship. He wanted to pursue something with another girl and when we ended things I realized I really liked him and wanted to pursue something with him. I was really upset when things didn't work out but since then we went back to being just friends and I do not like him in a romantic way anymore at all,in fact we have talked about his new girls many times and I do not feel hurt when he brings them up when we hang out.

However, my friends don't really like him. He can be kind of rude to them sometimes but that is just his personality and he is really sweet to me I have forgiven and forgotten the pain he caused me because he is such a good friend and even through everything he always felt really bad about what happened between us and how it ended.

My friends always get really mad when I hang out with him even if there are other people there and we aren't doing anything physical because they think I will start to fall for him again which I know won't happen because I only see us being friends for many reason. He is someone that I can anything to and not worry about being judged and I can be completely honest with him about every aspect of my life. Is it wrong of me to still want to be his friend because through the bad he has always been a good friend? Or should I listen to my friends and end the relationship?

january2011

On LS, we often advise people to go NC so that they give themselves the time and space to get over someone.

Of course, the final decision is down to that individual.

If you feel that you are completely over him, then by all means remain friends and ask your friends to respect your decision and right to choose your friendships.

OP--I noticed you said that your guy friend can be kind of rude to your friends sometimes.

You then justified it by saying, "It's just his personality"......

If you stop & think about it from your other friends' point of view--You're bringing a guy around who treats them disrespectfully..........

So, why should they like him? People that are rude without good reason tend to put others on the defensive---they feel like they have to keep their guard up.

It is your choice --as far as who you spend your time with romantically, it's your decision to make.

I will say, however,it seems to me that a man who respected you, would make an effort to play nicely with your social circle.

why would you want to continue a friends-with-benefits kind of relationship anyways when you know well enough he's chasing after other gals.

wake up.... don't you want a committed exclusive boyrfriend for yourself? may not be him though...