My friends are driving me CRAZY!!!

I just have to get this all off my chest. It feels good to type it out. My friends are driving me up the wall! To protect the innocent, let's give them all aliases. I'll name them after the secret identities of super-heroes. I'll be Superman.

First off is my best friend, "Captain America". In 2000 he moved to another state to go to college. Nothing wrong there, but I miss him all the time. He recently graduated and found some work that he doesn't really like. He always gripes about how he hates his life out there and how much of a mistake he made leaving home for so far away. Then he tries something new, likes it for two weeks, and says the same thing over and over again. Nothing against my pal, but I wish he'd come home again or at least be happy where he's at. Make no mistake, I'm not mad at him, and we hang out every chance we get (holidays, vacations, etc) and we are still best friends, It just bothers me to see him so unhappy in life. Now to the friends that are making me frustrated and/or annoyed.

Here is my next friend on the list... let's call him "Batman". This guy is dark and moody all the time and he's just no fun at all to be around anymore. His idea of a good time is to sit in this dirty restaraunt in town and talk with all the hicks about their trucks. He's always dragging me along for the ride, so I bow out early and he gets ticked over it. Plus, whenever we ride in his car, he plays the music of such craptacular bands as "Krokkus", "Sentenced", "Iced Earth" and all sorts of lame metal. We constantly argue but we've been friends for nearly a decade. Plust he constantly rags on my choices in women yet I don't recall ever seeing him on a date in his life. Is it time to go our separate ways?

Here's my next friend on the list. Let's call him "Aquaman" because he drinks like a fish. In fact, he flunked out of college last year and has been living in town at home since then. His younger brother is there and the two of them just sit in that basement of theirs playing computer games all day. Neither one of them has drivers licences' (they're 18 and 22), and they're all ticked at me because I wouldn't drive them out of town to see a movie (Pirates of the carribean) that was playing right here in our very own small town! I'm not their chauffer. They need to get off their duffs for once and do something! Am I wrong here?

"Aquaman" also got mad at me because I refused to drink with him on the 4th of July (He drank an entire 12 pack of coors that night!) and once last summer because I never took him to the bar. I really don't drink at all (I did a little when I turned 21, but I think it's a waste of money and my life) and I've tried to get him to stop. At least his brother (who is a real jerk, IMO) agrees with me that he drinks too much and also refuses to drink.

I have several other friends but I'm not very close with them. It just seems that my real close friends are the ones I seem to be having the biggest problems with, or have moved away/ gotten married. Do any of these stories say anything bad about me? Or am I just in some unhealthy relationships that need to end?

I'm sure I'm leaving out all sorts of wonderful details so expect an update sometime.

I think you learn to appreciate your "old" friends for who and what they are. They obviously have some good qualities or you wouldn't have become friends with them in the first place. That doesn't mean that you don't need to branch out and find new friends who are more at your "level" now. But, I'd hesitate to cut off contact altogether with your old friends (unless you really feel like you need to.) I've found that the old friends are the ones who really know you best and are the ones who really stick by you when you need someone. You can still remain friends with them, but not see them constantly, or see them in situations where you will be uncomfortable.

• Author

Well Clia.... I was great friends with these guys when we were younger. But as the years go by, and we are firmly entrenched in our 20's, we have less and less in common.

I have friends from high school (I'm 28) who I'm like this with. I have very little in common with them anymore. They all still live in the town where we grew up, are married, smoke pot, didn't go to college, etc...

So while there are so many levels where we simply cannot relate to each other anymore, I do enjoy seeing them each year at Christmas, or exchanging e-mails with them every now and then. I know they'd be there for me if I needed anything and vice versa. There's just too much history for me to cut off contact altogether, even though we've moved off on completely different paths.