High School Reunions

Butterflying

Am I the only one who hates them. I just missed my 10 year class reunion because it was organized by two of the "most popular girls" from my class. My high school was very clique(ish). So of course these two girls were best friends. And the only people they invited to the reunion were the members of the most Popular cliques. Since I was never in a clique (unpopular) I didn't get an invitation to the reunion.

A few of my best friends were very popular and members of the cliques. They went to the reunion. I'm only just finding out because I hadn't kept in touch with anyone from high school until recently on Facebook. I thought these reunions were supposed to be unbias. I mean, it doesn't seem fair they the organizers get to pick and choose who to invite.

I'm sooo pissed that this whole "popular v/s unpopular" stuff is still going on now that we're all adults. I don't think I ever want to attend a high school reunion. Would that be okay?? Is there anyone else out there who has never been to a high school reunion and will never go? What is the point anyway?

I could do that whole "look at me now" thing and flaut my more attractive self with makeup and without the braces I had on my teeth back then. I could show up with an entourage and security to flaut my financial wealth. But in the same way that I didn't care about bragging and boasting back then, I don't care about that superficial sh*t now. I don't need the popular people to validate me. If they didn't appreciate me for who I used to be, then they don't deserve to socialize with me now. What do you all think LS?? Am I being imature about this?

not really. I didn't go to mine, was not even planning on going, but my best friend asked if I'd go with her. Then she moved out of state, was pregnant and couldn't travel, so I got out of going to the 10 year.

last year was *supposed* to be our 25th, but no one really seems to care about pulling it together – and a few people have tried. No big loss, IMO, because we've been meeting up in different places every few months, just a handful of people who normally wouldn't have hung out together in school, and it's been really cool getting to know folks this way.

ironically enough, none of the "popular crowd" can be bothered to show up, though they *want to be told when the reunion will be held so they can come*

um, yeah.

as for showing up in style, nah, that's something they'd probably pull to convince everyone just how wonderful their lives are. If you do run into people just carry yourself well and let them see how much you're enjoying yourself. Whether it's a job you love, a family you're crazy about or even the fact that you got the hell out of the area, live it up.

as for your reunion coordinators not inviting the whole class to the gathering? Passive aggressive bullshxt, IMO. Blow it off, but remember to kill 'em with kindness, you know?

Yep, I didn't bother with my 10 year HS anniversary either. I had friends back then and some have contacted me on FB, but for the most part I really was not very popular, probably through my own introverted nature. I suppose there is nothing wrong with reconnecting but I kind of don't really have an interest too. I've got too many things I'm looking to the future to work towards. At least thats more of a priority for me right now.

I didn't go to my 10 year b/c I had other personal stuff going on that weekend. But the best friends I had in high school I still talk to on a semi regular basis, and we still see each other when I am back in my home state.

I know how you feel though. I sure wasn't the coolest person in high school. In a way, I do feel like I sort of got revenge for band geeks everywhere though. Since facebook has reconnected so much of my high school class, all the popular guys who would only date the cheerleaders message me all the time asking for my number or wanting to chat. I politely decline. You snooze, you lose in my book.

Hooray for late bloomers! :p

My 20th is coming up.

Most of my friends are from a class lower than mine.

One of my friends is from my class & i've recently been talking to a woman from my class that I don't remember ever talking to in highschool but she insists i did.

OK. she's hot. i'd remember but i'm not going to argue with her about it. :)

She wants to go & wants me to go.

I did my own thing in highschool.

I had few friends but their still close to me 20yrs later.

I can say i havn't had any contact with anyone else from my school since graduation.

I went to my 10 year and honestly had THE BEST time reconnecting with all of those people. :love: The best part was watching the envious eyes of all the girls who were complete biotches back then! :lmao:

I would go now that I have reconnected wth some of my friends from way back when. The past is the past and most of the bigheads seem to have been humbled by the loss of their looks and rude children.. :laugh:

Take care,

Eve xx

Disillusioned

You know... it's totally legal for you to tell your high school's alumni association not to contact you at all or give out any info about you if you don't want them to. Zsa Zsa Gabor did that, to keep her high school in Europe from giving out her real age (she's VERY hung up on that).

As for me, I have no desire to see the class who picked on me. Los Angeles being what it is, over half of them have spent time in prison (the tough-stupid mentality), a few have been killed in gang rumbles, and the kids at the top of the class got a rude shock when they got to college and found out they weren't superior beings after all.

Funny though, all the guys I went to shop class with, never went to college either, although one did go into the Air Force... after high school, they all became plumbers, electricians, printers, techs, etc. They never became millionaires, but they were never out of work either. I wonder what they would think if they heard I became an author?

Didn't go to my 10. I don't plan on going to any in future either.

I'm friends with a few people from high school still. Good friends with probably 2-3.

Only one of them went to the reunion, mostly because he's married to his high school sweetheart and she wanted to go.