Friend/co-worker is very selfish and rude.

lorangie1

A little bit about me, I am 26, and have been working at my current company for a little over a year. My friend/co-worker is mid-30's and has been at this company for over 3 years now. We have grown very close over the past year, but she is definitely very selfish as well arrogant and she is also incredibly blunt and outspoken, sometimes aggravatingly so. She can also take words literally and reads very deep into things that aren't meant to be at all. She takes advantage of me as well, and I think it's because she's older and she says she has seniority over me.

I'm at odds with myself. ON one hand, she is a friend, so I feel like I should be able to tell her how annoying she has been lately. On the other hand, she is a co-worker and I have to deal with her 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, so I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize our work relationship.

I'll give you examples of what she does. I am very out there with my fashion, and if I come in with purple painted nails, she'll shriek at me and say "Ew, that is SO NASTY." It hurts my feelings! Also, anytime I'm eating food she always makes comments about how much it smells and how disgusting it looks. She also comments that I eat too much. I am in no way overweight but I hate when she does this. She will also intercom me about 20 times a day, talking about stupid things like horoscopes and love life when I have actual work to do. And then she complains to me that she is so busy and has no time for anything when she is taking up all of our time by gossiping. Oh, that brings me to another thing. She constantly talks about how horrible and terrible all our co-workers are, yet she's the one who is always talking sh*t about them.

WHAT CAN I DO?! I really feel like I have to quit just to get away from her. PLEASE help me.

Whenever she talks smack about what you are wearing just say : Really ? I really LIKE my purple nails " and walk away

When she talks crap about your co workers say " Listen Julie I have a ton of work and they have recently warned us to get more production done ( even if you have to make that part up ) and turn away from her.

Don't give her what she wants. I had a coworker like this that talked hateful about everyone. I used to just drift off when her mouth started running.....