Is he being disloyal?

emerald_isle

emerald_isle

Hi,

Something happened between me and a friend of mine the other night that showed me that he is disloyal, but I wanted to get peoples' opinions in case I'm overreacting.

I need to make some extra money pretty badly, so a male friend suggested I try bartending at a bar that requires no previous experience. He suggests we go to this bar together so he can introduce me to one of the female bartenders he knows, who can tell me all about the job. The thing with this female bartender is that she has been all over my friend in the past, and according to him has solicited him for sex. He says he hasn't slept with her, and he's only hung out with her at the bar three or four times.

Anyway, we go to the bar and she's not working that night. We talk to the owner instead, and he tells me he's got a bartender who's an alcoholic, who drinks on the job and has been messing up a lot lately. He goes on to say he's planning to give her one more chance, but if she takes a drink on the job again he's going to fire her, at which point he'll hire me.

Turns out the bartender he was talking about was the girl I mentioned above. My friend got protective and said he felt bad for her and had to warn her, and that he was going to go back to the bar the next night to do so. This is perfectly fine, except for the fact that by warning her, he's screwing me out of a job he knows I desperately need. It would be one thing if this was a good friend of his, but I feel like he's selling me out, who he's known for five years, to someone he's hung out with four times.

Do I have a right to be upset with him? Does this seem disloyal to anyone? I'm thankful to him for offering to help me find a job, but I feel like he's screwing me out of it so he can keep this chick that worships him in the picture. Thanks for your advice.

Wow that's very interesting. I don't know what to tell you really....pretty weird, first he wants to help you get a job then making it more difficult lol...

Does this seem disloyal to anyone?

One's ultimate loyalty is to one's penis.

elijahBailey

Your friend wants to help the both of you. It's just that the way he did it was clumsy. Think about it this way. He knows the girl is close to being fired. If he does nothing to warn her and she gets the boot, he'd have let her down as well.

Put yourself in her shoes and you'd understand his point of view. Whether or not he's sleeping with her is irrelevant. I know it's a tough call, but I probably would've done the same if I were him, but I would let you know first before I told the other girl. If you got the job at her expense, you wouldn't feel good about it either.

• Author
emerald_isle
Your friend wants to help the both of you. It's just that the way he did it was clumsy. Think about it this way. He knows the girl is close to being fired. If he does nothing to warn her and she gets the boot, he'd have let her down as well.

Put yourself in her shoes and you'd understand his point of view. Whether or not he's sleeping with her is irrelevant. I know it's a tough call, but I probably would've done the same if I were him, but I would let you know first before I told the other girl. If you got the job at her expense, you wouldn't feel good about it either.

Sure, I'd feel bad if she lost her job, and yeah, it's nice that he tried to help her. But he has known her for all of ten hours, while he's known me for five years. It seems like he was ultimately more loyal to this person he doesn't even know than to me. I could understand it if they were sleeping together, but they're not. Am I still overreacting?

How so, Magic?

You're right. That's confusing. He's probably attracted to more than just her taste in shoes.