Do you believe in Fate?

Luvinit

I had something quite strange happen the other day and wanted some feedback and opinions on whether this could be some Fate related friendship thing or just coincidence.

Here is my story... I had a good friend while in College. Her name was Sabrina. We would study together and go to clubs or hang out etc... just friends.. nothing else.. we just clicked I guess. We had sort of a brother-sister relationship that was very comfortable and comforting.

Anyway, after school I joined the military. While I was in basic training she sent me a letter, but the drill sergeants took all our personal items and I lost her address... without knowing her address and being shipped to another duty station we lost contact completely.

Over the years I have often thought about her and wondered how she was doing... and because music is like a 'time machine' for me (when I listen to music I would listen to a lot at one point, it sort of 'brings me back' with a flood of memories and sensations) whenever I would hear songs from the time we were together I would think of her and our friendship, missing that connection.

So, I was in IKEA on Saturday and came across some pickled herring in sour cream (a Scandinavian food that she used to love to eat) and I instantly thought about her... later I found a CD that reminds me of her (specific memory of when I bought it and we listened to it in her car).. I know... I am a freak with the whole music/memory thing...

On Monday I kept wondering how she was and finally went as far as to pay the $20 fee for the people search thing online, which gave me an address, though an old one. I printed it out and was planning to go by there to see if she still lived there sometime this week.

So yesterday, still thinking about the possibility of making contact with her, I thought I would leave work early and head down to the address I obtained from the people-search site... even though she probably didn't live there anymore. I just needed to try. But traffic was a pain and I decided that I would go another day when traffic was a little easier (post-Christmas shopping traffic...yuck!). I figured I would just go and buy the latest Sopranos season and kick back at home and watch it.

This is the part that has me so confused..

I went to 'Best Buy' near my home and picked up the Sopranos. While in the DVD-TV section I had the thought to check the other DVD aisles for anything else I may want to buy... felt like a compulsion. I walked down the sci-fi aisle and there and noticed a girl with good 'style' kneeling and looking at DVDs... I gave her a longer glance because her sense of style was pleasing and somewhat rare... as I gave her a longer glance, I thought she looked familiar.

I asked her "excuse me, but is your name Sabrina?" She said yes... and Oh My God it was HER... I introduced myself and she gave me a hug and told me that she had often thought of me over the years as well.

We stood in that aisle and talked for several hours and exchanged numbers. I cannot express the shock of this accurately... but it has had me confused all day yesterday and today.

Do you think Fate wanted us to reconnect? Do you think this is just a random coincidence? Act of God? Maybe the flood of thoughts about her and seeking her on people-search was due to some precognition of our meeting? Honestly I have a very scientific mind, and don't normally believe in any hocus-pocus stuff... but this has me awestruck and confused.

I never believed in anything like "Fate"... but this has me reconsidering that. I am having a hard time getting my head around what just happened.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

the_alchemyst

Given the way I am and my line of thought, I'd say that yes, it was a fated encounter of sorts. And romantic one at that, even if you two aren't interested in each other in a romantic way.

I think concidences are those for the cold heart and dull mind. But that's just my opinion--I don't believe in them. I think everything happens for some reason, even if the reason is merely meant as a slap on the face and nothing else.

Every event in life happens for some reason, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the reason has to be a meaningful one, unfortunately, or that you have to "learn something from it" all of the time.

For the two of you, I think that it was something that was meant to happen, aided perhaps by both your internal desires to reconnect with one another.

There are simply some things that happen which we cannot fully understand and much less explain, and when that happens, like in this case, I like to think that it's a little gift from whatever is out there with more power and understanding than me that wanted to give me a little gift to warm my little heart.

But that's just me.

Or maybe the thoughts both of you were thinking about one another actually drew you together. Stranger things have happened.

My wife and were the most improbably couple to ever get together. We have decided that it was God's plan for us all along because if we'd tried it ourselves, we'd have messed it up.

I think everything happens for some reason, even if the reason is merely meant as a slap on the face and nothing else.

Every event in life happens for some reason, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the reason has to be a meaningful one, unfortunately, or that you have to "learn something from it" all of the time.

Yep, fate. I'm a big believer in it.

What a nice story! Thanks for sharing, I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Great story! I hope and pray there is such thing as fate or Providence because otherwise life sucks!

I hope you two at least have coffee or something just to see what fate throws at you next.

I think you two were meant to bump into eachother and somehow you read the signs so it happened.

It's neat! Let us know what happens in the future!

I had something quite strange happen the other day and wanted some feedback and opinions on whether this could be some Fate related friendship thing or just coincidence.

Here is my story... I had a good friend while in College. Her name was Sabrina. We would study together and go to clubs or hang out etc... just friends.. nothing else.. we just clicked I guess. We had sort of a brother-sister relationship that was very comfortable and comforting.

Anyway, after school I joined the military. While I was in basic training she sent me a letter, but the drill sergeants took all our personal items and I lost her address... without knowing her address and being shipped to another duty station we lost contact completely.

Over the years I have often thought about her and wondered how she was doing... and because music is like a 'time machine' for me (when I listen to music I would listen to a lot at one point, it sort of 'brings me back' with a flood of memories and sensations) whenever I would hear songs from the time we were together I would think of her and our friendship, missing that connection.

So, I was in IKEA on Saturday and came across some pickled herring in sour cream (a Scandinavian food that she used to love to eat) and I instantly thought about her... later I found a CD that reminds me of her (specific memory of when I bought it and we listened to it in her car).. I know... I am a freak with the whole music/memory thing...

On Monday I kept wondering how she was and finally went as far as to pay the $20 fee for the people search thing online, which gave me an address, though an old one. I printed it out and was planning to go by there to see if she still lived there sometime this week.

So yesterday, still thinking about the possibility of making contact with her, I thought I would leave work early and head down to the address I obtained from the people-search site... even though she probably didn't live there anymore. I just needed to try. But traffic was a pain and I decided that I would go another day when traffic was a little easier (post-Christmas shopping traffic...yuck!). I figured I would just go and buy the latest Sopranos season and kick back at home and watch it.

This is the part that has me so confused..

I went to 'Best Buy' near my home and picked up the Sopranos. While in the DVD-TV section I had the thought to check the other DVD aisles for anything else I may want to buy... felt like a compulsion. I walked down the sci-fi aisle and there and noticed a girl with good 'style' kneeling and looking at DVDs... I gave her a longer glance because her sense of style was pleasing and somewhat rare... as I gave her a longer glance, I thought she looked familiar.

I asked her "excuse me, but is your name Sabrina?" She said yes... and Oh My God it was HER... I introduced myself and she gave me a hug and told me that she had often thought of me over the years as well.

We stood in that aisle and talked for several hours and exchanged numbers. I cannot express the shock of this accurately... but it has had me confused all day yesterday and today.

Do you think Fate wanted us to reconnect? Do you think this is just a random coincidence? Act of God? Maybe the flood of thoughts about her and seeking her on people-search was due to some precognition of our meeting? Honestly I have a very scientific mind, and don't normally believe in any hocus-pocus stuff... but this has me awestruck and confused.

I never believed in anything like "Fate"... but this has me reconsidering that. I am having a hard time getting my head around what just happened.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I am also .a big believer on fate.as your sound said,it's your fate or luck you are now with each other.

I think it's most definitely the coolest thing I've heard in a while. I believe that fate plays a role in destiny.

Please let us know how it goes between you two? :)

RE:

Interesting story, Luvinit.

The remarkable portion of the story is the letter she sent you. Without that specific mismanagement, there would be no story to begin with.

It is thisclose from being labeled as a fairytale. Rare occurrence.

Cross your fingers and hope the harsh effects of life, and reality doesn't whether away the fondness.

Best Wishes.

Sand&Water

• Author

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

Well, it has been a week since that fateful day, and I though I would give a brief update...

We clicked right away, and have seen each other every day since, even if for only a few minutes to run to the store or something. She lives on the same street as I do, less than a mile up the road. We have probably spent around 30 hours or so together or on the phone over the last 7 days. It is really a great feeling to talk with my old friend again... I feel as if I have been given a gift or something.

It is almost funny how quickly we have fallen into our long talks about films, emotions, animals, friends, school...etc. It is like we are picking up where we left off in a long conversation that was interrupted 15 years ago, without missing a beat.

I missed her all these years, but I don't think I realized just how much until we started talking again.

I am still awestruck by what has happened, and grateful. I'll give more updates in the future if there is interest :)

I don't know what to call it really but a similar thing happened to me last year with my oldest guy friend,I had not thought of him in years though we grew up togther,hated and liked each other,fought and acted like brother and sister. I moved away with my boyfriend at 19 though.

I did run into him only once at a cafe I was in,he was working there saw me and ran out and asked for my number. If I recall he called me a few times and visted me at work,I still had a bf he had a gf.

Anyway I went to mind my parents new house last year which is in a small coastal area 3 hours from where we grew up.The first week I was there I out of nowhere dreamt of this friend [never dreamt of him before] and was'nt even thinking of him.It was such a vivid dream that I wrote it down,and some babble about how we were probably soulmates etc as we were so alike.Amazingly I went to get groceries the next day in this poky only one bus every four hours place and there he was in the computer store I recognised him straight away though his head was down looking at a computer,but can you believe this I never went up and spoke to him.