Rules of being a Temp?

I started my first tempt job a couple days ago, they were on tight deadlines and i had to stay overtime. However from the looks of it, i somewhat appear to be on the good side of both my supervisors. but at the same time im unsure whether or not ill be hearing from them anymore as they didnt say when or if i should come in again. my supervisor did tell me she gave me a good review to my temp agency. and even my contact confirmed.

However people can be so indirect about things sometimes. I called the company today and she reiterated yesterday's review and that we'd keep in touch, she thanked me for staying behind the other day. however i fear i may have jeopardized my chances as i told her i was a night student (i cant quite stay after business hrs) this is the beginning of the week, so i assume they have enough staffing and arent on as much of a tight deadline as they were during the weekend.

Even for day 2 at work there, my supervisor got to know me better by asking what i do, and similar with me with a few other co-workers.

Well who knows what happens now. questions:

1)Are they interested in having me in again?

2)What should i look out for if the company is/isnt interested in having me come in again?

3)Is the RATE set in stone, can i speak with the company or temp agency on raising it?

4)Who's really paying me here, the temp agency or the company i worked for? (does the temp agency bill the company for my services?)

5)Is the company allowed to hire me as a full-time employee with benefits?

6)Do temps generally get higher pay than the company's employees?

1)Are they interested in having me in again?

2)What should i look out for if the company is/isnt interested in having me come in again?

3)Is the RATE set in stone, can i speak with the company or temp agency on raising it?

4)Who's really paying me here, the temp agency or the company i worked for? (does the temp agency bill the company for my services?)

5)Is the company allowed to hire me as a full-time employee with benefits?

6)Do temps generally get higher pay than the company's employees?

I was a temp for almost 4 years, in my experience;

1. If they are interested in having you again, they will contact your supervisor at the temp agency. The company is more than likely contractually obligated to follow certain procedures with the agency.

2. It depends on if this was a temp only, or potential temp to permanent assignment. Regardless you should let the temp agency know that you are interested in other assignments.

3. The rate is being paid to you by the temp agency. Technically, you are an employee of the temp agency and the company who contracted to hire you has no say in the amount you are paid.

4. See #3. The temp agency bills the company at an hourly rate that is much higher than what they are paying you (sometimes more than double). This is because the company doesn't have to worry about such things as workers comp. benefits, FICA, FUTA, SDI and all the other tax consequences.

5. Generally speaking if the company wants to hire you outright as a permanent employee they have to hire you as a temp until the contractually set number of billable hours have been met, or they buy out your contract. It's unethical (and a breach of contract) for a company to hire the temp outside of the contractuals.

6. No, but they pay an hourly rate that is higher than most of what similar workers are being paid, to the temp agency

I used to manage a temp service so I can answer some of these.

1. Your temp service will let you know.

2. Speak to your temp service rep. They can help guide you on that.

3. No, it's not set in stone. But don't talk to the company. Talk only to the temp service.

4. Yes, the temp service pays you and is your employer. They bill the company where you are working.

5. Yes, after a pre-determined amount of time, the company can hire you. You need to ask the temp service what that time fram is. It's generally anywhere from 2 to 4 months.

6. No. If anything it's generally lower since the temp service gets part of the hourly rate charged. I'm sure there are cases though where it's higher.

I was a temp for almost 4 years, in my experience;

1. If they are interested in having you again, they will contact your supervisor at the temp agency. The company is more than likely contractually obligated to follow certain procedures with the agency.

2. It depends on if this was a temp only, or potential temp to permanent assignment. Regardless you should let the temp agency know that you are interested in other assignments.

3. The rate is being paid to you by the temp agency. Technically, you are an employee of the temp agency and the company who contracted to hire you has no say in the amount you are paid.

4. See #3. The temp agency bills the company at an hourly rate that is much higher than what they are paying you (sometimes more than double). This is because the company doesn't have to worry about such things as workers comp. benefits, FICA, FUTA, SDI and all the other tax consequences.

5. Generally speaking if the company wants to hire you outright as a permanent employee they have to hire you as a temp until the contractually set number of billable hours have been met, or they buy out your contract. It's unethical (and a breach of contract) for a company to hire the temp outside of the contractuals.

6. No, but they pay an hourly rate that is higher than most of what similar workers are being paid, to the temp agency

that is it in a nushell...

But you should talk to your temp company and let them know that you are looking for temp to hire, not just one or two days here and there...

take them if offered, however your wants are important as well... And don't stop looking on your own as well, sometimes you find what you are looking for yourself...

• Author

thanks guys, just wondering...does the temp agency make money everyday i go in and work, or each time they find a new assignment for me?

So far im loving this temp agency and my contact there, she's very persistent in finding me work.

Now i hear there's some kind of tax deduction for freelancers because we dont receive health benefits, especially when we file our taxes right?