I started a job a few months ago around the same time as another guy - we'll call him Bob. I have a personal policy about not dating co-workers so I declined when he asked me out. Bob took it personally and since has made numerous comments about how I would look great if I lost 10 lbs and that he needs to take me shopping because my fashion sense is lacking.

Last week our manager announced he was leaving the company and named me as his first choice to take his place. The CEO of our company and the board of directors agreed with our manager's decision. The position of manager makes me Bob's superior.

Subsequently Bob went to our CEO and told him he didn't think I was capable of managing our workplace or handling the associated responsibility. Our CEO disagreed - there's really no question: we're the same age, I have 6 years experience, he has none; my background is more extensive and comprehensive; etc.

I haven't discussed any of our more notable interactions with our manager or CEO but fear it will continue to be a sore point especially as Bob becomes my subordinate. I hadn't mentioned it for fear of appearing unprofessional since we haven't worked together that long and I know my merits speak for themselves. I also worry that mentioning it to our superiors might exacerbate the situation given Bob's immature and chauvinistic behavior thus far.

Any tips? Recommended threads? Ideas?