Rules of being a temp....?????

Hey everyone,

I just got a new job, seriously the best ever. I am a temp but I get an office, a laptop and good pay.

The problem is...I am only temping for them for a few weeks, theyre planning on hiring me right in (talk about it a LOT).

So, my boss asked me how much the agency is paying me. Being somewhat clueless as to what I can/cant talk about with him, I was honest and just told him. Then he says "Well I am going to tell them that youve been doing great and they need to bump up your wage $2 more an hour".

Can he do that???

I mean theoretically, he is their client/customer and they should probably adhere to his requests, right? I dont know whats going on with this whole temp stuff. Confusing.

I probably already told him too much :sick:

• Like 1

You should check whatever papers you signed with the agency. Many of them have a non-disclosure clause meaning that you're not supposed to tell the client what you're being paid. They pay more for you than you get paid so now your boss knows what kind of markup the agency is charging.

I managed a temp agency for years. We preferred that the temps didn't discuss rates with the client but it wasn't expressly forbidden or anything. Most of our clients knew what our markup was anyway.

Yes, the client can get you a raise. Of course it will cost HIM more as his fee/rate will go up as well. That happened all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. You really didn't do anything wrong.

HokeyReligions
I managed a temp agency for years. We preferred that the temps didn't discuss rates with the client but it wasn't expressly forbidden or anything. Most of our clients knew what our markup was anyway.

Yes, the client can get you a raise. Of course it will cost HIM more as his fee/rate will go up as well. That happened all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. You really didn't do anything wrong.

...Ditto....

• Author

ok, thank you...

I dont have copies of everything I signed when i started, but I dont remember ever signing anything that specifically mentioned pay rate and whatnot.

Thanks again, I sure hope y oure right!

justagirl1121

I've been a temp. I don't think it's a big deal; depending on what you're doing, the clients probably know what you're paying...in fact, they might actually tell the agency we're paying you 13 an hour, therefore the agency charges the company say...18.

I think there are contracts involved and if the company wants to hire you before that contract is up, they owe the agency a lump sum of money to break the contract.

Other than that, I was just a temp, so I don't know all the ins and outs.

Good luck on getting hired!

• Author

I think there are contracts involved and if the company wants to hire you before that contract is up, they owe the agency a lump sum of money to break the contract

Yeah my company knows that. I think its a pretty hefty fee too...I guess I should take that as a very good compliment~!