How hard is it it to get a liquor license?

I am thinking about opening up my own business which will be a combination of a nightclub and bar and grill and I am wondering if it is hard to obtain a liquor license. I think this would be a good investment for me.

It depends on the state you're in.

Usually there's some sort of State Liquor Enforcement Division, and it will probably take a few months for your petition to be processed. Most places open up for business and post a notice of intention to sell alcoholic beverages--So, plan on being a dry establishment for a while until your request is processed. This is so that your bank (I'm assuming you're not funding the entire venture out of pocket) doesn't have to wait until the License Clerk grants permission for the loan. So develop a business plan that can survive for a while without alcohol.

It's really a subjective thing, liquor licenses. They judge your moral character, and the surrounding neighborhood. Hopefully you don't have any serious convictions on your record.

Your best bet is to consult an attorney who specializes in licensing.

Also, I forgot to mention, there are different types of liquor licenses for different types of liqour sales. It depends on what kind you're selling, how much, and where it is consumed.

Find out from the county which type of license you'll even be pursuing.

• Author

I most likely will be paying for it out of my own pocket. I can afford it but you are right about surviving without alchohol. I guess my place can function as a restaurent in the meantime. I live at the Jersey Shore so I doubt it is hard to get a liquor license. There are nighclubs sprouting up and shutting down all the time here. I heard you can also buy one from a business that is closing down so I might look into that.

I heard you can also buy one from a business that is closing down so I might look into that.

As far as I know, it's the same proccess. They still determine whether or not you have the moral character to own it, and whether the neighborhood is fit for it.

Bottom line is see an attorney if you're serious about owning any sort of business.