Veitnamese Holiday Party?

A vendor has invited me to a Holiday party. It's a US company owned and run by mainly Veitnamese-Americans. The upper managment is mainly from old S. Veitnam. Youngers were born here.

They are respecting and indeed becoming part of the melting pot.

I'd like to bring a gift or say something that shows the elders that I have respect for thier old country ways.

Any ideas? (besides learning to spell Veitnamese)

And because this is LS, any tips to win over the ladies?

I can say a few viet phrases, but they are from the war...not very delicate.

try googling Feng Shui gifts

Otherwise just give the typical gifts you would to an american.. A bottle of Wine.. etc

Vietnamese is the correct spelling..

You do have a point..

The wisdom is not only used in China, but all over the world. Several countries even have their own variations of Feng Shui. In Vietnam it's called Dia Ly.

I am Chinese, so I don't know how the Vietnamese feel about this, but whenever non-Chinese people would try to give us things that were Chinese, it's kind of comical.

There is also the factor of, "Oh, you're just giving me a wok, because I'm Chinese."

I don't really know these people, maybe they would be impressed by a Vietnamese related gift, but they might just find it kind of weird.

Especially if these are people who have lived in America for a long time, they might be offended that you are not treating them like Americans, but the Vietnamese part.

I'm sure anything that would impress an American, would impress them as well.

You can never go wrong giving a nice bottle of Shiraz. Just because someone hails from another country, it doesn't mean they have a preference for all things from that country. Gift something you would like.

I'd like to bring a gift or say something that shows the elders that I have respect for thier old country ways.

take them a nice home-made vietnamese style dinner. Something like Dog Fricasee or maybe Cat au Vin. :laugh:

Oh and don't forget the catsup.

Don't give them something Vietnamese in origin, instead think of something from your area of the planet that is not normally found in Vietnam.

Maple Syrup and related products could be a good choice.

Don't give them something Vietnamese in origin, instead think of something from your area of the planet that is not normally found in Vietnam.

so i guess that land mines are out CRAIG? :laugh:

Maple Syrup and related products could be a good choice.

I like craigs idea.. something from your side of the fence ..or from your heritage..

I like craigs idea.. something from your side of the fence ..or from your heritage..

I think they already got enough of that stuff during the vietnam war! :laugh:

from Davie Bowie's song China girl: "....i'll give you Television, I'll give you eyes of blue..."