Job opportunities in Marketing?

Man I feel like I change my career path every 2 months. A couple years ago I wanted to go into Computer Science, then I wanted to do business. I took economics last year, hated it. I considered going into Psychology and being a therapist or something...I'm prolly not doing that. So I'm taking a marketing course in college right now and I really like it. It's something in the business field (which most of my courses are) and I feel I'm really good at it. Does anyone know what kind of job opportunities are available in marketing? How is the pay...etc? Thx!

Marketing's a great field, since every business needs it to keep the $$ flowing. I worked on the creative/technical side of it, but I never saw the big bucks. It all went to the bosses who came up with the ideas (some of which sucked).

The money potential is excellent... especially if you move to a big city.

• Author
Marketing's a great field, since every business needs it to keep the $$ flowing. I worked on the creative/technical side of it, but I never saw the big bucks. It all went to the bosses who came up with the ideas (some of which sucked).

Ya that's what I figured. The people on the high end which make the decisions on the general marketing plan of the company make the most money.

How did you find the work, overall? Was it fun? I think it is something I'd like to get into. You mentioned that you never saw the big bucks. I guess money isn't the most important thing to me. I just want a job that I love doing, but I also feel I can be successful (money wise) if I put my mind to it.

Anyone else...?

I don't know if I'd say "marketing's a great field". Whenever a company is having a slight struggle in budget, guess who is the first dept to go??? The MARKETING DEPT! Of course it can be a fun and creative job, but it's the most competitive dept. Plus, they figure, if they need to "cut budget costs", they can use last year's advertisments, that's all. I'm not saying it's a bad field, but all I'm saying is it's tough and usually the first department to receive the pink slips when times are hard. But if you want to do it, by all means, try it out...it just may be your niche!:o

HokeyReligions

I've had some marketing jobs. They didn't suit me but for those who love it there are endless possibilities. Marketing and advertising are two different things, although they are closely related. I enjoyed the advertising part and I was good at that but its the marketing people who make the bigger bucks because there is a whole lot more involved than coming up with creative ideas and presentations. Those who have a foot in both areas kick butt financially. Keep taking the courses and talk to some companies about their marketing departments and what the roles/responsibilities are for various positions. Maybe you can get a job as a marketing assistant to get some real experience.

I love designing signs and billboards and newspaper and magazine ads and I've had input into commercial advertising too, but the marketing aspect of it is, to me, dull and more work than fun. It's not that I'm not a people person, but I'm not the 'right type of people person' for a true marketing job. Plus the business end is yuck to me. I don't like dealing with budgets or trends or calculating the market. I used to and that's why I went into business but I guess I've changed so much over the years that I'm not up to the task. If I really had the desire and drive I wouldn't have burnt out so fast.

I don't know if I'd say "marketing's a great field". Whenever a company is having a slight struggle in budget, guess who is the first dept to go??? The MARKETING DEPT!

Tell me about it...

Now, someone I spoke with told me not to go into Marketing for another reason...It's being outsourced! Is this true?

It seems like all jobs are being outsourced. To be honest, it's a little scary!