I finished cosmetology school about a month ago. I havnt tried finding a job yet because I am so scared Im going to suck big time. My school wasnt the best school I feel Like I havnt learned anything. I feel like Im to slow and I know I dont know everything about coloring and that is what I love the most. I have looked into going to a another school for awhile but I cant afford it its so expensive. I have been practicing on my friends and I do good it just takes a lil longer then it should. I want a job sooo bad because I love doing hair, but I cant get the confidence to go look for one. anyone got any advice for me.

curiousnycgirl

I'm not in an even remotely similiar field, but I have to assume speed comes with practice and experience. It is hard for me to believe that you would be expected to have mastered it all having just graduated school.

You need to realize that people in the field should understand where you are in your career (just starting) and be accomodating.

The other thing you should keep in mind is that an interview is a two way street. Just like they are checking you out - you should be checking them out. You may decide the atmosphere is not right for YOU! When you remember that - your nerves should settle.

best of luck to you.

I go to a salon where there are several levels of stylists. From something like "apprentice" up to "master". They charge differently depending on their designation. Over the years I've seen people progress from just assisting by doing shampoos and comb outs to having their own stations and their own clients. Would it be possible to find something like this in your area? Then you'd have the opportunity to gain confidence at your own pace and have the advantage of having more experienced cosmetologists around to guide you. :)