I need some advice here...

I've been working at a clothing store for almost four months now. Well today for the first time I called in sick. I tried calling them from 8 a.m. but no one would answer. Finally at 9 a.m. my assistant manager answered & I informed her that I would not be coming in today due to sickness. Well she began to flip out at me. "Your calling me now? Your my opener!" I told her that I had been calling since 8 a.m. but no one would pick up. She then began to flip out saying that I should have called her letting her know that I wouldn't be in, so she would have more time to.. Call around to get someone in for the day to fill my position.. Well I did have her number.. But (a.) I never knew she was working the morning shift with me. (b.) Because of me not knowing she's going to be working with me that morning.. I wasn't about to call her house waking up everyone in her house-hold.. Then she began to go off saying I should have management's number just in-case this happens. I'm like. "Why are you flipping out at me?" I of course never said that.. But I felt like she was trying to make me feel guilty for being sick.

I just question did she handle the situation well?

This isn't the only problem I have had with them...

Let's say if someone else has been there for five months & they call in sick.. They don't go through what I had. Yet management gossips to us other co-workers about the situation. Isn't management, if there good management that is.. Supposed to keep that confidential? I work with all women & I feel all they do is gossip about each other behind each other's back.. And I feel like I am treated unfairly.. For example.. They will allow one girl who has yes.. Been there for a year.. To get away with all of her sick days, which have been like... Four in one week sometimes.. I just find other people's behaviour around there to be a lot worse.. And then there is me who calls in sick just once, who always shows up on time, will take other co-workers shifts.. And I feel they treat me like crap..

I just am wracking my brain all day feeling guilty for being sick. And why should I be feeling this way? It's not like I plan when I am going to be sick.. Does anyone have any advice? And does anyone see poor management here as well? :|

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Don't feel guilty for being sick. When you go back to your next shift apologize for not having the proper phone numbers ahead of time (even though this is just as much their fault for not giving you the phoning-in-sick policy when they hired you).

As for them talking about you and others behind your back, you have no control over their conversations, other than to remove yourself from them and don't participate in the gossip sessions. ie. Don't stoop to their level, and also you shouldn't give a crap about what they say or think about you. All that should matter is what YOU think of you.

You should go to work and cough on her :mad:

Then take a laxative and fill the toilet up with diarhea and not flush it so the bathroom stinks really bad :mad:

Then you should gag yourself when no one is looking, and throw up on the most expensive outfit in the store :mad:

Then if that doesn't make her send you home, cough on her again.

If that doesn't work, fill the toilet with diarhea again.

And if THAT doesn't work, THROW UP ON HER!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: teach that b*tch to give you attitude when you're sick :mad:

Remember that the average IQ is around 100. In most workplaces you'll find some individuals who exude impressive levels of self-confidence - primarily because they haven't the wit to recognise their own limitations. In the sort of workplace you're currently in, self-regard and bossiness are probably all that's really required to clamber up the career ladder.

So in answer to your question. No, she didn't manage you well, but that's probably because she's been promoted beyond her capabilities.

I'm sure the better clothes shops are staffed by people who are bright, professional and passionate about the business they're in. Unfortunately it doesn't sound as if you're working in that sort of environment at the moment.

Maybe it's time to start planning out a serious career for yourself with a view to getting out of your current workplace as soon as possible. No doubt you'd win if it came to a squabble with these people over your employment rights...but ask yourself whether it's really and truly worth the headache.