LoveShack.org Community Forums

LoveShack.org Community Forums (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/)
-   Business and Professional Relationships (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/)
-   -   School, Work, a messy life. (http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/633491-school-work-messy-life)

sharkbite0 29th August 2017 11:17 PM

School, Work, a messy life.

Well, I'm 30 years old and in school for social work. I really enjoy the work but I am beginning to be realistic about it and wonder why I went into this field of work when it doesn't appear to be financially worth it. I have 1 year left before I graduate with my masters.

I just received a letter from an electrical union. They make 100k in 5 years. The problem is I have just always been slipping and sliding through life. Never had my feet on the ground in a stable position for too long. That's the reason I went back to school.

What I am asking for is some guidance, suggestions, I live in NY. and It is expensive here. I have had a troubled past and almost dropped out of high school. I have a supportive family but they never give me any direction or suggestions.

Thank you for reading. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

OpenBook 30th August 2017 5:06 AM

You don't have to have it all figured out at the beginning... or the middle, or the end. Building a career is an evolutionary process with many unexpected twists and turns along the way. Do what you love, and the money will come.

Popsicle 30th August 2017 9:13 AM

If I were a 30 yo guy, I'd pick the electrical union.

d0nnivain 30th August 2017 10:27 AM

Where is your passion?

If you go the money route & become an electrician, you could potentially feed your soul by doing volunteer charity work. You will never get rich in social work.

You could also be an electrician now & fall back on the social work when you retire or heaven forbid, get injured.

MidKnightDreams 30th August 2017 10:48 AM

Social work is typically not a financially rewarding profession. People seem to enter it ... and enjoy it ... for other reasons. It's possible to earn $100K in social work, but it would probably require a doctorate, teaching at a university or owning a practice of some sort related to social work.

Obviously, the quicker and more assured route to that level of income is to become an electrician.

However, I agree with d0nnivain, you should do what you're passionate about. You'll be much more likely to have a long, stable, and fulfilling career when you do something you love.

If that is social work, find a way to make the money you need. That may take more hustle and creativity than simply finding a social work job, but if you're passionate you can make it happen.

d0nnivain 30th August 2017 11:02 AM

The other option would be to do social work as your FT job but do "odd jobs" on the weekend as an electrician for extra money. A skilled trade is always in demand.

sharkbite0 7th September 2017 8:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it. Well, I only have a year left for my masters in Social Work so I'll at least finish this degree and see where it takes me. Being a male in the field seems to give me the upper hand when it comes to promotions. I found out 95% of Social work is dominated by females but 95% of the management positions are male.

Thank you for reassuring me that I do not need to have it all figured out. Cause I am really not sure what I want and where it will take me. I think if i had a wife and kids i would feel more obligated to find a secure job that could support us but that is not the case. So for now.....I'll just keep trudging through school and see what comes of it after.

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it.