LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

New at the job and some coworkers don't like you

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hippychick3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2017, 4:41 AM   #1
Established Member

New at the job and some coworkers don't like you

New at the job. New coworkers don't even give you a chance and they don't like you or make your job difficult. Never understood this. I could understand them being cautious, but they are rude.
I've heard that one should immediately stand up to them. While others take the abuse.
Anyone have good insight?
Even if you go to mgt they might look at you bad, because they want a worker that gets along. Or a worker that's part of the team.
FastHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 9:01 PM   #2
Established Member

You get more flies with honey . . .

Try bringing in bagels or cookies.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 9:17 PM   #3
Established Member

Be friendly and offer to help as much as you can. Sometimes people resent the new person when it means more work for them temporarily.
hippychick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 5:52 AM   #4
Established Member

Try and make a few jokes about yourself.
Not degrading jokes, but, jokes enough to show a basic level of stupidity.
That should not be hard for us, as it comes naturally..
But, it may be a superiority or status thing with them.
Seeing you as another Joe, may get them to shift the threshold down a few notches, and at least, stay reasonably friendly.

I always make fun at myself in my work place.
Brings a few smiles, and laughs. It relaxes people, and they don't get too defensive, because your not attacking them.
They get confused at what's happening, because you attacked yourself, and their brains don't normally see this. So they tend to mellow out.

One little joke at a time.

Its an Animal kingdom out there dude. Either be smart, or strong.
I'm thinking, and hoping your smart..

Good luck.

Ted.