Have you ever been asked this in an interview?

At the end of my interview, the HR director asked me if I am currently interviewing at any other companies. She gave me a clear timeline of when I would hear back, but she told me to let her know if I receive any offers in the mean time.

I've never been asked this in an interview--what is the interviewer hoping to learn from this question? Do they generally ask this if they're thinking of making an offer, or do they ask this to all of the interviewees?

She then asked me to tell her how interested I am in the position, which of course, I made it clear that I absolutely am interested. Then at the end of the interview, she said to me, "I can't say yet whether or not you will be hired but regardless of the outcome absolutely do not hesitate to contact me with questions--whether it's now or in the future. I'm always willing to help." I thought this was a very nice thing for her to say, but maybe it's something she says to everyone.

I guess I'm mainly wondering why she asked the first question about interviews with other companies, and what's the best way to respond. This is truly my dream job and I hope it works out :)

At the end of my interview, the HR director asked me if I am currently interviewing at any other companies. She gave me a clear timeline of when I would hear back, but she told me to let her know if I receive any offers in the mean time.

I've never been asked this in an interview--what is the interviewer hoping to learn from this question? Do they generally ask this if they're thinking of making an offer, or do they ask this to all of the interviewees?

She then asked me to tell her how interested I am in the position, which of course, I made it clear that I absolutely am interested. Then at the end of the interview, she said to me, "I can't say yet whether or not you will be hired but regardless of the outcome absolutely do not hesitate to contact me with questions--whether it's now or in the future. I'm always willing to help." I thought this was a very nice thing for her to say, but maybe it's something she says to everyone.

I guess I'm mainly wondering why she asked the first question about interviews with other companies, and what's the best way to respond. This is truly my dream job and I hope it works out :)

Could be a lot of reasons:

1. They have not determined the wage offer they are going to make and want to know if they have competition.

2. They know their compensation is below market and don't want to waste their time trying to hire someone they know is getting better offers.

3. Assuming you currently are employed, to gauge how serious you are about leaving your current employer.

4. They are abosuluting interested in hiring you and they don't want another employer hiring you before you received their offer.

5. They may be just trying to gauge the demand for your field.

Keep in mind that HR is varing authority within companies. The offer may have to wait the approval of somebody outside HR.

Edited by Simple Logic

I've had that question asked in interviews when I've received an offer and when I haven't. Hopefully, it turns out well for you. Good luck! :)

Its just due diligence. Unless you are applying for a role in HR itself, then the HR is facilitating the process for another business line, who will ultimately make the decision. Quite a bit of effort and resource goes into presenting the line with a selection of suitable candidates. It would reflect badly on the HR if one of these candidates were to drop out of the process at this late stage without the HR knowing about it. You may turn out to be the preferred candidate, and if so and you were to be offered a role elsewhere, the business line may want to counter offer. HR needs to be in a position to facilitate this. That's my understanding of it anyway.

I work in HR and would only ask that question if the person was appointable. In other words, if they were a good candidate and depending on how well other candidates did, you could be offered the job.

If someone was no good, I wouldn't ask that question.

I have been asked the question before myself at interview.

Recently, there was a pretty good candidate that we offered a role, but she'd accepted a job elsewhere.

Had we known, I would have advised that we offered her quicker than we did, because it's a hard to recruit position.

Yea, you can assume that they're interested. Knowledge helps them make shrewd decisions. They basically want to know if they're going to have to be competitive, or if you're easy. They're not giving you anything to bank on, so I wouldn't give up much either. It's like a card game –– they're asking if they can get a peek at your hand. So smile and be nice, as if to say i'm cooperative but not easy.

You just want to give the impression that, yes, they need to be competitive, and yes, you do know your value. Like when they ask you how much you were making –– that tells them exactly how much to offer. If they know you'll get an offer for a little more, like maybe 10-15 percent, and they may save a lot of money vs. making a blind offer. You'd rather they have to make it blind because you could get a surprise on the upside. If they're too low you can still negotiate.

I have been asked that but I don't think. you have to respond directly. I said yes I'm actively looking at all opportunities. My resume has been circulated. Don't give specifics.

Its just due diligence. Unless you are applying for a role in HR itself, then the HR is facilitating the process for another business line, who will ultimately make the decision. Quite a bit of effort and resource goes into presenting the line with a selection of suitable candidates. It would reflect badly on the HR if one of these candidates were to drop out of the process at this late stage without the HR knowing about it. You may turn out to be the preferred candidate, and if so and you were to be offered a role elsewhere, the business line may want to counter offer. HR needs to be in a position to facilitate this. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Yeah, not quite. HR is not held responsible for the whims of candidates to that regard nor would expect to be told the truth, to be honest, by a candidate to this kind of question. If the process is moving slowly due to HR, sure, they are responsible, but if the process is moving quickly or at normal speed or slow based on others, than that is not the fault of HR. In fact outside recruiters have candidates drop out that turns out to be a surprise to them. That has even happened at a CEO position for me. While it is disappointing we don't expect HR/recruiting to be that tied to all of their candidates.

Honestly this, to me, reflect an inexperience HR recruiter/person to ask this. We will give candidates our timeline of the hiring process but outside of that we are not obligated to them nor are they obligated to us. So if a counter offered is needed then the company who is in the need to counter offer didn't move fast enough.

OP - If you get an offer that you want to make another company aware of, I would tell them you have an offer, you would prefer to go with them, but have until x day to make a decision. You would need an offer of at least x amount to continue discuss but wanted to give them the respect of a head's up and any further dialogue that they may want to have.