So screw up now! after the telephone call from HR.

I applied a job online.

Next day, someone called and left a voice msg. I couldn't made out her company name and her name. So I called her back. she asked me some questions and then asked me my salary expectation. I didn't tell her, but asked her her budget instead, she gave me a range, I thought that was hourly rate. Later I tried to google her company using her phone number, but no clue. I thought she is going to get back to me anyway, so I wasn't really concern about it.

2 hours later, an HR called and I now know it's from the company I just applied. I was shocked, nobody has gotten back to me that fast. It's a huge bank. she asked me if I had time next day coming to the city which is 2 hours away, because the manager was going away to NY next week. I, of course said yes. while she was making the appointment or something, she asked my past work experience and finally said this and that is my salary expectation. I was shocked how did she know? I said no. she then said you told the lady your expectation, now you tried to get more? only then I realize the recruiter who called earlier work for the company too.

Then she asked me my expectation. I was hesitated. then she asked my current (startup, no steady income) and last job (large company). I told her and asked her what's the budget for this position, and she said, we don't have to tell you that, there is no law required that.

then she said, know what, don't come tomorrow, the manager will call you. I tried to explain to her I didn't know the recruiter work for the company too and I thought the number the recruiter told me was hourly rate. then she cut me off by saying she had a oncoming call.

the next day, I received a voice mail from the manager saying she couldn't find the HR so she let me know personally she had to cancel and push back the appointment. and the HR will rearrange.

Now, this week, the manager is supposed to be back. No call coming from them yet.

What should I do? and told them I will accept whatever they offer? which is much lower than my expectation (but I am desperated, yes).

I am in Canada. It seems USA offer almost 30-40% more (around 6 figures in CAD, when factor in exchange rate). but alas, no USA company has even offer me an interview yet. Most USA IT recruiters seem to be Indians, maybe they are just fishing?