You blew it DUDE! ( rant)

Eurggg I am sooo pissed!

I am a new financial consultant, I am still feild training, I got a lead witch could have made my partner and I 4k a peice. Before the appointment I called him and asked if he had the material and if he wanted me to bring my lap top. he stated he had everything don't worry about it.

WELL we get there, he doesn't let me speak ( this is my lead) and isn't prepared!! he made a 3rd appointment but I really know we could have closed the deal yesterday. I need this money and am thinking about geting them the information they want and closing it myself.

Is that unapproiprate? It was my lead and if I close it I can double my commission, 3 appointments for this product is uncalled for. I think he blew it and I want a chance to save it.

OR should I just ask him his reasoning behind it? he has 30 years of experience compared to my 6 months but he doesn't seem like much of a closer.

He has been there longer then you so this is going to be tough. Since you are still in training I would ask him "how come it took 3 appointments to do this deal??" Maybe say to him... "Since this is my lead can I give it a try... I need to learn how to do this sometime." Let him know how important this deal is to you!

• Author

We are both independant agents we don't work for a company in particiluar BUT he has much more experience :o

Contact him. Let him know that this was your lead and that you need to get so expierence with this kind of situation.

HokeyReligions

How did you partner with this guy? Who do you both report to? Do you have an agreement with him that for a certain time period you will train with him? If you go yourself to this appointment, how will that affect future partnering with him, or others?

If you go yourself, with his knowledge if not his blessing, and you close the deal will you still split the commission with him to stay on good terms and still have his experience available to you?

I know its frustraing for you, but think it through thoroughly before you take any action. If there is a 3rd appointment, go prepared as though he's not going to be there so you can step up to the plate if/when he falters---but make him look good too!

Sometimes a little brown-nosing is not a bad thing---especially when you are first starting out.

Good Luck!

Sometimes a little brown-nosing is not a bad thing---especially when you are first starting out.

Boy is this ever true. Newbies are, by nature, not trusted. In life, it'll be who you know that gets you ahead and sometimes you have to avoid ticking off the people with the most seniority. If this guy's been around 30 years, he has LOTS of connections that you don't need against you. Suck it up and ask to explain his thinking behind his actions in this. Remember, your own AD/HD makes you impatient with people and impulsive and this can really work against you. Try to remember that you need allies if you're going to be successful in your new field so tread softly with folks, even if you think they are utter morons. You don't have to pretend to love them, but be civil and polite.

• Author

Yes I would still split it with him. We don't report to anyone.. he is more like my Mentor than my partner. I get leads sometimes that are a little to complex for my experience so I bring him and we split it. We are both self employeed.

I fuigured since we are "both" the sales reps on the job that I am going to go ahead and get the potential clients the information they want by e mail with a letter thanking them for meeting with us.

That wouldn't offend him right?

If he said he'd do it, then yes, if you send it ahead of him, it will bother him. Why not email him, tell him you have the info, and suggest you send it.

curiousnycgirl

Yup I agree with moimeme - I would pull together the information/presentation forward to the partner and say that you would like to forward it to the client by XYZ time/date and hope he agrees.

This shows initiative but you won't be undermining him.

Question: how is she to "benefit" from his relationships or connection when he makes such a blender?

I am sorry, he may know EVERYTHING there is to know, this man was plain greedy and selfish. He preffered to blow it himself by NOT doing his homework and by NOT letting you be in charge because he was afraid he might look bad.

Partnership is about trust. Why would he associate himself to you if he doesn't trust you? Sorry, girl, he was thinking of himeslf and of himself alone. HE wasn't even thinking about the money or about the client.

I say blow this deal under your "menthor"s nose. Get it yourself and then split the commision with him. Why would HE take offence when he fùcked up first? Is that professionnal? Maybe it's a bad advice, I don't know, but personally I've had such "partnerships" with people with more experience. And I was to only one to lose from it. Think "equal" from now one.

You could also fill him in with what you want to do. Chances are he'll move faster than you and thus permanently damaging your chances of getting the deal. the god part would be that you'd have a legitimate reason to stop working with him. I think 4 k is a too higer price to pay only to be sure he doesn't hold a grudge against you.

People having more experience doesn't make them smarter. It gives them an advantage. That's all. Don't allow him to play this advantage in front of you. HE'll use it to dominate you, hence the situation you're in.

If I were you, I would have stopped the deal for a coffee break, went with him outside for a one-on-one talk and express my thoughts on how he behaved right then and there. Stupid? Maybe! But if you let yourself become a doormate, you'll get used again and again and again. Why? First: he's older. Second: he's got more experience. Third: he's a man. Who has more credibility in front of a client? A young pregnant woman or the person I've just described?

Whatever you chose to do, be sure not to associate with him again. Get advice, keep the good relatonship with him if possible, but don't do business with him. My 2 cents.

soccorsilly

It is not the benefit of his connections she needs to worry about--it is the detriment of her career if he takes major offense and voices his concern to all of those connections essentially blackballing her.

Stone-I think the general advice here is sound. Tiptoe around this one. Question him as to why it was nto closed and explain why you think you could have closed it. Ask if you can be the lead on the 3rd presentation and close it.

I hate to say this, but in the business world, women are skeptical and men are suckers on the consumer end. If you are dealing with a man (your potential client) you are probably right that you could have closed it because of your sex. Your partner may not be aware of this or have any experience with a woman FA as a partner mentoree.

I was the operations manager of a manufacturer many moons ago, and I needed to fight tooth and nail to free up $$$ for a new copier. Finally I got it and life was good. When low and behold, the Xerox sales rep comes in (now to note her impression and beauty--her name was Kristen Hardy and she had a white linen dress and longish brown hair--and I still remember this 16 years later) talks to the president and between drools, he wrote a check for a second copier. Sexist I know, but it is a fact.

If you train a good looking man and a good looking woman equally on widget sales and send them out, I guarantee the woman will come back with more sales.

What if it's a major $$$, quite vital for your comany ? Whom would you trust more, an older, more experimented man or a 25 years old extremely attractive woman?

The boss may have signed a paper, but it's totally different when we're talking sales to clients. As far as I've experienced it, it was!

I totally agree that she should act such a way that she shouldn't turn him against her. But not with the price of the contract.

Let's assume he does talk to his aquaintaces about her "bad" behaviour. In the end, it's all about money. And I am sure that his behaving like that with her is no accident. I am sure he f*cked other business partners as well. I don't know... When it comes to credibility, I think it takes a bit more than an one time event to destroy a person's reputation. Hopefully one can avoid the above named event. The thing is it's impossible for all people to like you or to get along with everyone. I know, it's a difference between not getting along and making ennemies. But at one point or another, one will be forced to chose sides.

Curly - if she gets on his bad side, he'll not send her accounts, not work with her again, and probably let most of his associates know that he thinks little of her. The fact of working life is this: no matter how incompetent someone is in your eyes, if he's respected by others then you earn zero points by doing an end run around him.

Most folks aren't swift enough to pick up on people's incompetence. They'll not all flock to her saying 'oh, you're such a brilliant young thing'. Trust me on this.

When it comes to credibility, I think it takes a bit more than an one time event to destroy a person's reputation

She doesn't have a reputation yet. If she did, it would be another story but because she's new, she's very vulnerable.