mandatory work retreat weekends???

I recently started a new job, and now they want me to start attending these conference retreat things on the weekend. (to get better acquainted with everyone im working with, etc and to attend some workshops) On my first week there, I was exempt from going to one, because my boss told me about it last minute.

So now another one has come up. This is my first semi-professional job, I'm still in college full time. My weekends are the only time I have to work on assignments and do my laundry (which is really piling up, now that I think of it). The response to my not going to that first retreat, by the guy Im replacing was "wow, she's bold."

So its almost like they're trying to be casual about it, but they're mandatory.

They didn't tell me I would have to go on these things in the interview, they told me about these retreat conference things after I started. :confused: Am I being bamboozled? I doubt im getting paid to go on these things. I dont really know these people all too well, and we all work together at points but for most of the day we're working independently. We check in with each other during the day. And now I have to go on a work-weekend with them?

It's not that I dont want to get to know my new co-workers better, its just...I dunno. It feels like cult-ish to me. Almost as if,,,if I didnt go, I would be shunned at work, and then I would have to deal with people's attitudes about me not attending. I dont think I'm better than anyone, I just dont like being thrown into "kumbaya" situations.

Any thoughts?

If it's a giant concern, bring it up to your supervisor, I am sure there is some law that will get you out of it, but then you miss out on all the events that bring the people you work with together. Then you can't complain that you feel like you're on the outside. At least your employer wants their team to be cohesive. Most managers won't spend the money on team building activities.

This is a full time real job position? Be an adult, work it through. Not your employer's responsibility to make sure you get your laundry and homework done. If this is a condition of employment, comply or risk being let go.

They hired you without telling you this would be 'required'? Check with your labour laws. I'm pretty sure this can't be legal. What about people with families? If they aren't paying you for your time, then for sure it would be contrary to labour laws. Find out first and then have a talk with your supervisor.

Companies aren't allowed to make you work wierd hours unless they tell you up front that that might be required.

First off are you paid hourly or on a salary?

If you are in a professional position, on a salary, hours and overtime are not taken into account (usually).

If these weekends happen every 6 months or so....well, alot of large companies do this. I worked for a huge company and had to attend about twice per year. I didn't care for it, but it was the company "culture" and complied because the job was very interesting and paid well. This same company bought us breakfast, lunch...had a full kitchen with free food and paid for a nice take out meal if we worked through dinner. Yes, they wanted us to work over 12 hours a day...and if you didn't you were soon seen as a slacker and would never get promoted. Is this fair? Well, it was kind of crappy....but I was as ambitious as the rest and worked the 12 plus hours. Alot of people would complain and get fired for a bad attitude. I guess I'm telling you that you know what they want from you....of course they should have told you in your interview, but you know now. If anything over an 8 hr day, 5 days a week is going to tick you off....you should look for that kind of job NOW.

If you are semi-professional, or an assistant type and being paid hourly, they can request you attend the dumb weekend meetings, but they would (usually) have to pay you over time for the hours over forty.

Basically, if you are a salaried employee, a definition you can look up on the US Federal Labor Law web site.... they can give you lots of work and expect alot of hours. Some state laws quibble this a bit....but usually it is a matter of getting so much per week and having supervisory duties.

They can't just say, you are the janitor and now you are on salary so we can make you work 80 hrs per week for $200.00. Look up the fed labor law....I think the division is called the Wage and Hour Division. You will know if they are legally able to request this participation from you.

If you are an exempt (from overtime), salaried employee. Basically, you do what they say or find another job. Trust me...there will be no negotiations. If you start complaining and if it is a pretty cool job, they will fire you so fast your head will spin and hire someone who is happy to go to the dumb weekend lovefests.

Sorry. This is just the way corporate America works.