Co-worker got me a gift

So a year ago I moved to this office where I became a permanent worker. We have a bunch of college student workers. Undergraduate students and graduate students. The graduate students usually stay for years and are very valued by our office. This one girl has been with the office for two years. She is very nice and I like her, but don't know her super well. Today is her last day with us since she is graduating from college soon. I thought we would do some goodbyes. The office budget usually pays for us to provide her with a really nice frame for her diploma.

This morning when I came in she was giving our christmas gifts to everyone. She gave one to me. I felt so bad. I didn't think to get her anything. I feel so bad. Some other people in the office got her little gifts too. Today is her last day so its my only chance top give her anything. I could run out during my lunch hour and get her something. But I feel like this looks purposeful, like its clear I didn't get her a gift, so I ran out and got one after the fact.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I should even bother. I just wasn't expecting a gift from her and I'm usually a really good gift giver. I would never want to not reciprocate when it comes to gifts.

In a business setting, you gift down, not up. It was odd of her to get you a gift. Sweet but odd. It was a lovely gesture on her part so accept graciously & move on. Going forward keep 1-2 wrapped small boxes of candy in your office at the holidays so you always have a gift for someone.

• Like 1

offer your sincere gratitude at receiving the gift and tell her how much you wish her well in her future career/job, and that if she needs a recommendation or etc., just to keep you in her network. extend an offer of continued friendship in lieu of running out to pick up a drugstore gift