I'm 25. My supervisor is a highschool girl.

At first, I thought Amy (my supervisor) was cool. When I found out she'd been promoted to supervisor, my first thought was to go and congratulate her.

Then came one day at work where I made a small mistake. The restaurant was slammed with a line out the door, and a customer came in saying that the overall manager had already paid for their food ... but they had no proof of this whatsoever. I went to find the manager (was gone less than 60 seconds). I didn't see him, so I went back to work.

When I got back, Amy was livid. She proceeded to yell at me several times "Get back to work! Get over there!" Just on and on. Even after I had already resumed work, she was still yelling "Why would you walk away?!"

All the customers are just looking on, some of them with an embarrassed smirk, others in shock. I felt majorly disrespected. I was so mad I could fight (although I'd never fight a girl).

Everyone at work (except 2 co-workers and the overall manager) believes I have nothing to be mad over. Would you be upset?

GunslingerRoland

I'm a little confused, when you say restaurant do you mean fast food?

I'm not sure why the manager would get that upset, that a waiter went to check something with a manager for a minute.

If it's fast food, and you were manning the till, I guess I get it. But I've never heard of a manager paying some ones bill in advance...

I went to find the manager (was gone less than 60 seconds). I didn't see him, so I went back to work.

So you couldn't find the manager, and left this customer hanging?

That sounds bad to me too.

BUT - that doesn't give your supervisor the right to publicly shame you. If she had an issue with your work, she should have called you over and quietly talked to you.

You should always be treated with respect, even when you make mistakes.

Ask her for a meeting. Tell her that you understand that she was upset, but that you did not like being humiliated in front of customers and your co-workers. Ask her to please in the future come to you privately if she needs to discuss your work.

Be kind and respectful and calm.

If she continues to yell at you or treat you poorly, you have two choices: go above her head, or find other employment.

• Author

Well yes, of course I understand the part about leaving a customer hanging. But I did mention that this customer had no proof that the manager had actually paid their bill. So if I had just taken their word for it and they were lying, I'd still be in trouble.

In any case, I talked to Amy today, pteromom. We actually had a good conversation and explained our perspectives and hugged it out (I wasn't completely innocent in all of this). Since Amy's promotion I've been on her side. I still am.

I think stress got to her, and she lost it. She still has a lot to learn about supervising people. She's basically learning as she goes, how to manage professionally. I am glad you handled yourself well.