Do you think its appropriate for a supervisor to be best friends with her employee?

There's this co worker that has been promoted to supervisor. She slowly moved up and she is friends with most of the people that work with her. One in particular she is best friends with. Now that she is a supervisor, wouldn't that be unethical for her to even have a close friendship with her? Or even bias? Cmon, what about when she's doing her review and she screws up how likely is she going to fired her best friend? Or if something happens to an employee, I wouldn't want her to gossip to the other lower level employees...

What is she supposed to do? Cut all those friendships she has cultivated over all those years?

How do you think that's going to go down with the people she used to be friends with?

It's a sure-fire way of messing up and severely damaging the workplace atmosphere.

Why do you think that she can't be trusted to handle matters in a professional manner?

• Author

I don't think she should cut all friendships. but lets say I called in-due to family emergency, health reasons, or whatever, or maybe if I was put on a warning for not meet performance goals-I think it would be unprofessional and unethical for her to discuss these issues to her employees-the ones that she's friends with. I hear her all the time socializing and just chit chatting about her life or her friends life.

Yes, it would be unprofessional for her to discuss your work misdemeanors with her friend. But what makes you think this woman is so unprofessional that she would do this?

Chatting about her life or her friends lives is different to being unprofessional about her staff.

You seem to have very low opinions of those around you. What's up with this? It's not an attractive trait.

• Like 1

I think you are just going to have to give her the benefit of doubt until you actually see her doing something unethical. Of course she's not going to just dump her best friend because she's a supervisor now. If her being best friends with this coworker somehow affects your ability to work to the best off your ability then report your concerns to HR, otherwise just pay attention to your own work and don't stress about who the supervisor is friends with.

Rejected Rosebud
I don't think she should cut all friendships. but lets say I called in-due to family emergency, health reasons, or whatever, or maybe if I was put on a warning for not meet performance goals-I think it would be unprofessional and unethical for her to discuss these issues to her employees-the ones that she's friends with. I hear her all the time socializing and just chit chatting about her life or her friends life.
What does her chit chatting about her life and her friends life have to do with you though? I think you might be making something out of nothing. Unless you have a specific grievance with your boss, live and let live!!

I been social with every supervisor I had which is important I think in the workplace because you can always use that person as a reference. Now hanging out with my supervisor after work hours is a different story.

There isn't a law against friendship. I have worked for a cliquish company where a manager and supervisor to be were buddy buddy and they ganged up on me to get me fired. Some really are friends and some just kiss ass.